Going to buy a SUB, Can i beat this deal?

KnowledgeHungry

http://www.westenddj.co.uk/Product/M-AUDIO/DJ_Speakers/BX10S/GoogleBase/

Ive been searching and searching endlessly for an active sub to add to my setup and although i was originally going to get the KRK 10S Active Subwoofer @ £319 i have now decided to keep my options open and ask for further adfvice before i go throwing away the peanuts.

according to the specs of the above link the M audio BX10 sub @ £225 reaches all the way down to 20hrz and the krk only goes down to 34hrz:confused:

I would normally go by the specs and my requirements and go ahead with a purchase but i have come unstuck in the past so i am here seeking the kind advice from you more experienced guys.

I personaly think the m audio is the better choice than the krk but i know nothing about subs and i dont really wanna spend all that doe and then be disapointed with my purchase!

So what do you guys think? is the m audioBX10 the better choice in this case even though the krk is so highly recomended?

http://www.westenddj.co.uk/Product/M-AUDIO/DJ_Speakers/BX10S/GoogleBase/

Ive been searching and searching endlessly for an active sub to add to my setup and although i was originally going to get the KRK 10S Active Subwoofer @ £319 i have now decided to keep my options open and ask for further adfvice before i go throwing away the peanuts.

according to the specs of the above link the M audio BX10 sub @ £225 reaches all the way down to 20hrz and the krk only goes down to 34hrz:confused:

I would normally go by the specs and my requirements and go ahead with a purchase but i have come unstuck in the past so i am here seeking the kind advice from you more experienced guys.

I personaly think the m audio is the better choice than the krk but i know nothing about subs and i dont really wanna spend all that doe and then be disapointed with my purchase!

So what do you guys think? is the m audioBX10 the better choice in this case even though the krk is so highly recomended?

my best mate has both the krk and the m audio one, the krk is much, much more rinsing trust. the m audio has a tendancy to distort at higher volumes with certain bass heavy tracks which is pretty annoying, get the krk if you can

Add bass trapping materials to the cost as well, about 50-100€ depending on the looks. Trust me, there's nothing worse than a having some boomy frequencies in your room and a sub to emphasize them.

buy a car subwoofer much better value for money

I have powered monitors, how would i hook it all up mate?

boobjunkie, Thanks or the comparison mate, i had a feeling that would be the case lol, So much for saving the pennies!

kama, thanks for the heads up mate but ive got that covered, You see my dad is a night time dustman in central london and you will be amazed as to what materials i can send him out for :oscar:
+ Ive been up all night studying photos of home studios and there arrangement so hopefully all the peaces come together in the end, if not ive seen no end off bass trap tutorials ;)

Anyways, according to all the reading i did last night, the KRK seem to be the best in its price range, although alot of the meterial i was reading was outdated so my question is...

Is the KRK still the best sub to get in the price range of £319 or is there better available to me nowadays?

If it is still the best that any of you can recommend then could you please scout out any second hand sources that you know of and let me know if anything catches your eye's ;)

What i mean is that i am fully prepared to spend the £319 on the KRK but i dont know enough about choosing subs to go on the normal second hand bargain hunt i would normally go on with other items i know more about and am more experienced with.

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to research my query.

ive got a car sub with a car amp and some floor standers and the sub only really kicks in at high volume as the floor standers are louder at that volume than the sub. also the floorstanders are overpowered whilst the sub is underpowered.

ive got a car sub with a car amp and some floor standers and the sub only really kicks in at high volume as the floor standers are louder at that volume than the sub. also the floorstanders are overpowered whilst the sub is underpowered.

Dont think ima go down the car audio route, So if anyone has any suggestions to a better second hand sub than the KRK then i would like to hear them.

What i mean is that i will be getting a KRK anyway for £319/$484 so if i can get a better sub second hand for the same money then it would be well worth investigating! Alternatively a second hand KRK would also suite me as i could always use the extra Cash to towards something else, like a decent midi controller!

look on gumtree you might find a someting

thanks for the suggestion mate, I went straight over to have a look, however i am not experienced enough in the sub department to make a choice and that's why im asking people here. You see my problem is i already tried searching based on specs for a better sub in the KRK's price range but my choice didnt turn out to well.

Even though the specs seemed better to me, boobjunkie has already pointed out above that he has heard both the KRK and the M Audio.....

boobjunkie said:
my best mate has both the krk and the m audio one, the krk is much, much more rinsing trust. the m audio has a tendancy to distort at higher volumes with certain bass heavy tracks which is pretty annoying, get the krk if you can

That proves one cant always go for specs and sometimes it better to seek out advice from people who are expereince with the product you are about to buy. Especialy if your a noob like me. Ive never bought a studio sub before and it being such an expensive/important item i dont want to make the wrong dicision.

All that being said i did see an add over there for a Wharfedale PowerCube. Its going for £175 but again i am unsure of the quality comparison to the KRK so i dont know wether the £144 saving i would make on the purchase would actualy be worth it?

Hers's the link

http://norwich.gumtree.com/norwich/53/61333453.html

Can't really help too much on this one as I haven't been speaker shopping for a while but you are 100% right in looking for good advice. Our first set of 2.1 studio monitors were blue sky. As much as I loved them cause they were new, the sound was completely wrong and we regretted buying them. A knowledgeable friend recommended Dynaudio monitors too us and they suit us perfectly, luckily I got the blue sky's for a snip and only lost 200 notes on them.

With any speaker it is definitely worth taking a trip to a shop for a demo. Take some music you know and phone ahead so they can get the kit in if possible. Also, I would avoid the 2nd hand market for speakers unless you know your stuff or there is no other option. Good luck on the hunt...

Peace

Can't really help too much on this one as I haven't been speaker shopping for a while but you are 100% right in looking for good advice. Our first set of 2.1 studio monitors were blue sky. As much as I loved them cause they were new, the sound was completely wrong and we regretted buying them. A knowledgeable friend recommended Dynaudio monitors too us and they suit us perfectly, luckily I got the blue sky's for a snip and only lost 200 notes on them.

With any speaker it is definitely worth taking a trip to a shop for a demo. Take some music you know and phone ahead so they can get the kit in if possible. Also, I would avoid the 2nd hand market for speakers unless you know your stuff or there is no other option. Good luck on the hunt...

Peace

Best way to buy any speakers is to go to a shop and listen to them...

Thanks to both of you for replying, i was starting to think i was being ignored :) Guess it was that everyones recovering from there weekends ay? :)

Back to the subject in hand, as i have never realy owned/bought a sub im not sure just going to the shop for a listen would be too benificial to me as i would not know what tolook out for in regards to pro's and cons... I would be listening blind so to speak lol

What i mean is my choice would probably be based on price and loudness but not sound quality as i would not know how to judge it???

I have a bid on a KRK sub at the moment and will know if i get it by tomorrow evening. If i dont then im just going to go ahead and buy the KRK new as its the only one in my price range that gets so highly spoke about and is always getting recomended.

I figure my best bet is to go on other peoples experience's and considering no one can recomend anything that comes close to the krk in its price range either on hear or in other forums, its got to be my safer option!

cheap subs have manytimes fake info about their wattage,maximum loudness and freqency range.Dont believe these crazy numbers,I saw some sub,12" entry level home hi fi,around 300 euro... with 16-200hz ... even your tweeter can play 5hz sine wave but you must be the size elektron "to feel this heavy bass"

cheap subs have manytimes fake info about their wattage,maximum loudness and freqency range.Dont believe these crazy numbers,I saw some sub,12" entry level home hi fi,around 300 euro... with 16-200hz ... even your tweeter can play 5hz sine wave but you must be the size elektron "to feel this heavy bass"

I found what you say to be exactly true. I sure am glad i decided to ask before i bought :)

Anyways, as i couldnt get any advice about alternatives i went ahead and bought the KRK 10S off flea bay. The guy has extremely good feedback so im hoping my decision to go with a used sub isnt going to backfire in my face. But hey ho, thats what "buyer protection" is for ;)

This is the exact one i got and although its not a great deal off the retail it does come with a SUB DUDE panel for underneath that i am sure to need as it will be going in an upstairs bedroom, directly above my living quarters :smash:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170505695398&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Thyanks to everyone anyway, Cany wait to get it:slayer:

buy a car subwoofer much better value for money

this is horrible advice and will be boomy as fuc%.

I've got the Behringer Truth sub and I cant recommend it more for the price. It's comprised of two 8" subs in a folded horn configuration each with its own port. The best thing about it is what you DON'T hear, its not boomy at all.... nice and tight, and the signal out of the sub to your monitors is crossed over at 80hz so you can get away with much smaller monitors i.e. rokit 5's not rokit 8's.

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:22 ----------

I found what you say to be exactly true. I sure am glad i decided to ask before i bought :)

Anyways, as i couldnt get any advice about alternatives i went ahead and bought the KRK 10S off flea bay. The guy has extremely good feedback so im hoping my decision to go with a used sub isnt going to backfire in my face. But hey ho, thats what "buyer protection" is for ;)

This is the exact one i got and although its not a great deal off the retail it does come with a SUB DUDE panel for underneath that i am sure to need as it will be going in an upstairs bedroom, directly above my living quarters :smash:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170505695398&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Thyanks to everyone anyway, Cany wait to get it:slayer:

You'll love the krk.

Back
Top Bottom