giving a track that centre piece thing

Cat Gas

Aka Basis
VIP Junglist
I always struggle when making any track to have a main bit. I mean I can make a nice drum beat, nice bits to go in it, but no central motif or theme or thing in the track to tie it all together....And this is what makes me too lazy to produce. Any tips?

Sometimes I find that after tweaking drums and all the other elements I'm too burnt out to come out with a catchy hook. What I'll sometimes do is drop in a ready made loop and then start creating the hook/bassline/etc. This way I have a fresh set of ears and can dedicate the session to creating a nice sequence rather than spend the majority of the time just figuring out what hits I want to use.

Once I've come up with something I like with respect to the main hook, then I'll go back and start fleshing out a drum kit.

Cheers.

Samples man, it's all bout the samples. I find it much easier to start from a sample and build the tune around it, using it as main theme. If i start with drums or bassline i often get frustrated with the end result and start again :lol:

I usually start by making a riff out of a sample maybe a 4 bar loop or something and base the track around it. in the past i always started with a beat and then added atmosphere such as long drone but i found myself always getting stuck trying to add more elements this way, dunno why though.

Back
Top Bottom