Gig screw ups

June 2003

My 23rd B'day

Bailey & Ink headlining

I consumed 3/4 bottle of Courvoisier & 35g of Philosophers Stones.

Bullied a good friend off the decks before his time was up, like an aggressive messy twat, then proceeded to Intro Vault doubled with LK (wtf!?), trainwrecked the fucking life out of it, wheeled it up & did exactly the same thing again...

So I cut Vault out & carry on playing LK, by this time I was nervous as fuck & completely off my face, my mates were crucifying me from the crowd, but I cracked on, only to trainwreck the next mix & realise that this was only going to get much, much worse as the mushies got stronger!

So, I called my mate over who was on after me & got him to substitute me, before I made even more of a prat out of myself...

I still get ribbed about it to this day - "What you opening with mate? Vault & LK yeah!?" :D

Last edited:
i think we've all picked the wrong needle up at some point!
also, usually have quite a smoke (i always find this is worse than drinking for myself because atleast when i'm drunk i fuck up confidently), but had a bit too much once and was twiddling with all the master knobs instead of the channel i was supposed to be messing with, everybody was wondering why the sound was constantly being panned left and right and going louder and quieter, very embarrasing

2 or 3 times now i've whacked a channel up doing B2B with my m8 after he's just played his 3 and not realised he's left the VCF on hi pass all the way round, switching into a god awfull hiss, haha. Or done a quick mix and forgot i'd EQ'd the lo out only to realise when i take the last track out...
That and the odd clang :D

b2b always causes fuckeries, there needs to be some sort of ettiquette that you restore the knobs to a standard position :D

b2b always causes fuckeries, there needs to be some sort of ettiquette that you restore the knobs to a standard position :D

Defo this! Everytime I come off the decks I always put everything back the way it should be. My mates on the other hand definitely don't! Proper head fuck sometimes!

i always have all my eq knobs set to 12 o clock and add and take away when mixing the next track but my m8 who i b2b sumtimes will have them all set diffferently like bass at 3 and mid at 2 and hi at 12, it proper pisses me off

Nothing too catastrophic.. Just left the EQ's a bit high/low a couple times when i played frequency in Brighton a couple weeks back.. But it was pitch fucking black and i had to use my phone light to see where i had left the EQ's from the previous mix!! Some one needs to make a mixer with lights in the EQ's and faders so you know exactly whats going on in those situations!.. Plus it would look cool lol

thats true ^^ its cack when its that dark you cant see, at least some of the allen and heath ones have illumination underneath.

I played the Central Beatz DJ comp final back in Jan earlier this year. (Central Beatz is one of the Biggest DnB & Dubstep nights in Leeds run by Central Beatz crew which include DLR and Ruckspin)

It was the first time I'd played on a professionally EQ'd sound system equipped with moniters.

As i was mixing, the moniters drowned out the sound in my headphones, I'd never used an A&H mixer before so didn't know how to turn the moniters down.....as i turned around to pick out my next record, I find my record back fallen and records all over the floor (I actually wanted to cry at this point)

All my mixing was out of time and was not representative of what I can do.....seriously....my mixes impregnate women (ok slight exaggeration)

I ended up coming last which wasn't surprising. I learnt alot about myself as a DJ. Up to that point i'd always thought I was a pretty good DJ (obviously I got into the finals of a DJ comp) but this experience brought me back to earth with a bang.

I'd fucked up majorly in front of about 400+ people.

But I guess we all need a fuck up every once in a while to show that we ain't all perfect.

i entered that one too mate, really glad i didn't make the final just because going from your room to something like that is so completely different and takes a lot of getting used too. i did in a way what you did in terms of having monitor issues at a local club instead rather than being completely in the deep end

Fucked up hard numerous times the other week, was playing to like 10 ppl thats probably why but on Traktor i loaded a track on to a playing deck and accidently clicked the waveform so it moved the track back to intro, livid! Im guna stop using Traktor out as much now i think, its such a fucking pita to set up plus more often than not there is no where to put the bloody lappy. Rant

Back
Top Bottom