ghosting snares???

ventalationized

ive recently started using FL8 and ime trying to make a DnB tune, i can get the basic beat and that but i cant find out how you make the distinctave dnb "ghosting snares". ive watched a few youtube tuts but found nothing really and theres no help i can find on the internet.

if someone could help me, tell me where i can get help or just steer me in the right direction it would be much aprecciated as ime just getting no were at the moment :confused::confused:

I personaly found a flaw with FL for drums as a beginner, as soon as i switched to reason my drums achieved much higher quality (now i'm at a similer point with reason and need to use the cubase sequencer more). However, i guess you mean the snares in between the boom tap ..boomtap. Find a snare you think is appropriate, shorten the length of it make it sharp, reduce the amp velocity, lower the level and maybe adjust the velocity of the actualy key stroke. Fiddle about with different snares and always compare them to a tune you want to replicate. It's always good to start knowing what sound want, rather than hoping for results. Hit hats seem to take an important roll in masking these little breaks, so always tear the drums up with sweet hats.

On youtube type in 'chase and status drum n bass breakbeat tutorial, That will broaden your knowledge a little bit.

go to dnbscrets.com, they have an article on it. It's for FL users too so you are in luck

I personaly found a flaw with FL for drums as a beginner, as soon as i switched to reason my drums achieved much higher quality (now i'm at a similer point with reason and need to use the cubase sequencer more). However, i guess you mean the snares in between the boom tap ..boomtap. Find a snare you think is appropriate, shorten the length of it make it sharp, reduce the amp velocity, lower the level and maybe adjust the velocity of the actualy key stroke. Fiddle about with different snares and always compare them to a tune you want to replicate. It's always good to start knowing what sound want, rather than hoping for results. Hit hats seem to take an important roll in masking these little breaks, so always tear the drums up with sweet hats.

On youtube type in 'chase and status drum n bass breakbeat tutorial, That will broaden your knowledge a little bit.

the first sentence isnt correct.

for ghost snares play with the velocities / pitch / sustain of maybe the main snare you already have going (or choose a slightly different sounding snare), layering hi passed breaks and possibly rearranging them to compliment the ghosts can help too

heres another idear, take our main snare, eq out some mids, time stretch to half length, short reverb, layer with rave stab or some weird sound very low in the mix, resample. cool sounding ghost

You need a snappy snare then cut the length of the snare so it sounds more or less like a click instead of a snare. I usually put a hi hat before the ghost snare to give it that shuffling sound.

Set it up like so

h = hi hat s = snare

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
__________h s h s__________________

Hi hats on step 7 and 9
Snare on 8 and 10

That is a basic ghost snare shuffle. You can mess around with it a lot more over 4 bars to give it more life.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom