Ghost Snares/Shuffles

:andy:

I sorta tend to chop up ghost hits in cubase in wav format, it's easier. Reason why is because i can put real tight decays on them, which makes the beat tighter, but you need the proper fills already in place, like hi passed amens, ride cymbals etc. Also, adding a layer or two will stop the ghost hits from sounding synthetic.

I tiny tiny bit of pitching could help sometimes and maybe a little bit of velocity fiddling but depends really, thats my view anyway. Been releasing records for five years now so must be doing something right.:gang_bang

When you say a hipassed amen do you mean a single individual hits from the amen or a section of the amen.

Most people Say NEVER time stretch breaks.... so wouldn't pitching be the same as time stretching?

also i use kicks in my shuffles aswell, not completely layered punchy kicks but i use a few different ones that give the loop a nice feel

Havent read previous replys so this might already be mentioned.

Ghost notes are sounds that are played in your mixer, they have mixer channels where they generate sound.
This sound however never reaches the master channel and therefor is not heard which creates the "ghost kick".

When you have isolated a mixer track to do this you simply select that channel where the sound is generating and sidechain it to the track you want your ghost kick to do the sidechaining(have no volume on the sidechain when you link it else you will hear the ghost kick in that channel).

Go to the mixer channel where you want the ghost kick to hit and add a fruity limiter and link it to your sidechain you just made, modify the amount you want volume reduced when ghost kick is playing with delay and all that stuff.
Done.

Edit: I suck at explaining so if you dont understand what i wrote i can try to explain it better with picture examples.

Havent read previous replys so this might already be mentioned.

Ghost notes are sounds that are played in your mixer, they have mixer channels where they generate sound.
This sound however never reaches the master channel and therefor is not heard which creates the "ghost kick".

When you have isolated a mixer track to do this you simply select that channel where the sound is generating and sidechain it to the track you want your ghost kick to do the sidechaining(have no volume on the sidechain when you link it else you will hear the ghost kick in that channel).

Go to the mixer channel where you want the ghost kick to hit and add a fruity limiter and link it to your sidechain you just made, modify the amount you want volume reduced when ghost kick is playing with delay and all that stuff.
Done.

Edit: I suck at explaining so if you dont understand what i wrote i can try to explain it better with picture examples.

That's not the same thing as the topic is about I don't think...

This is about adding small, quiet off beat snare sounds to help the percussion "flow" more.

You are explaining sidechaining. Still useful though (y)

That's not the same thing as the topic is about I don't think...

This is about adding small, quiet off beat snare sounds to help the percussion "flow" more.

You are explaining sidechaining. Still useful though (y)

My appologies then, dont know how to help explaining how to do that

Upping this thread, it as a lot more information than my previous post about shuffle (if anyone needs).

here is a little loop i made http://www.filedropper.com/shuffletry trying some of the tips here, still sounds a bit robotic isn't it ? Maybe need more EQ too ...
(finally tried the pattern method over the breaks one ><)

Some nice info in here. Found this thread wile searching for ghost snares, as I've been going threw a faze were I am not liking my drums recently. I'm wanting to accomplish more with my one shots and get more shuffle/groove to it all. I do not mind using breaks, as I do quite often. But I'd like my one shot drums to sound good, fluid, and have a groove by themselves. Only using the breaks to fill in areas and add that extra groove. Ghost snares have an amazing way or making a simple beat flow better.... It seems simple, and I can for the most part I guess get it to a point... Just not were I want it. It lacks flavor and groove.

Any new help or tips on this thread/topic would be appreciated. Also, I'm using ableton... I was wondering if any other ableton users have tips on the groove section of ableton. I don't really ever use it. I've messed with it here and there, but didn't get what I was looking for. I know there's a way to "steal" the groove from a audio file, them apply that groove to your own sound or another file/sample. There's gotta be some out their utilizing this tool for their drums with good results. Any tips there would be greatly appreciated.

:: sent from android with tapatalk ::

I use ableton but have never used the grooves either, I just sequence the one shots however I want. i use addictive drums alot for acoustic sounds, it gives you several drum kits to mix n match. then i'll resample it and play with the velocity and detune. i remember seeing noisia use toontrack's superior drummer in their computer music video. both of them will give you alot to work with so you can make your own break loops. then layer it with synthetic one shots for kicks, snares and off you go. ime detune and velocity are key for the ghost hits/shuffle.

just put extra hits in, and make them quiet. sorted :) ....now getting them in the right place is a whole different thing..depends on the groove, experiment, the standard one is the 2 hits in between the main snare hits, just experiment, and keep them very very quiet

just put extra hits in, and make them quiet. sorted :) ....now getting them in the right place is a whole different thing..depends on the groove, experiment, the standard one is the 2 hits in between the main snare hits, just experiment, and keep them very very quiet

good tips. I guess for the groove you ould find a funk break that has a good sounding groove, then just pitch it up to match your bpm and line up your hits to the same non-quantized placement as the funk break, see how that sounds.

good tips. I guess for the groove you ould find a funk break that has a good sounding groove, then just pitch it up to match your bpm and line up your hits to the same non-quantized placement as the funk break, see how that sounds.

True... Gotta make sure those snares hit in the proper spot though or its gonna sound jankey. That can be the tricky thing with some breaks... Keeping the feel and groove, but making sure your snare and main kicks are quantized so it will beat match proper with other DnB tunes.

I guess there ain't no real rule on any of that though, if it sounds good it sounds good. Although we like to think of the DJ application a bit wile making them I recon.

Ghost snares are very short snare hits which have approximately the same loudness as the fellow hihats. A small tip, analyze a good sounding break, at best an uncompressed, take it apart and
determine the loudness and length of the individual drum sounds and transmit these proportional on your break ;)

Back
Top Bottom