Ghost Snares!! for the love of god help!

i just cant seem to get these things to sound right! if anybody can help me with this it would be so greatly appreciated.

Ghost Snares are generally used for creating a more 'rolling groove' in rhythm section of a tune and filling out the mix. Arrangement of Ghost Kicks or Snares is paramount to a good sounding groove. It's a case of moving them around until they sound like the Ghosts almost act as a springboard for your main hits to bounce off of.

If your main snare is made up of 3 or 4 layers - try using just 2 of layers at a lower velocity or use the whole bounced snare sound at a lower velocity together with EQ so it sounds like the snare has a slightly lesser attack than your main Snare. The ghosts should almost sound like they are sitting in the back of the mix.

Ghost Snares are generally used for creating a more 'rolling groove' in rhythm section of a tune and filling out the mix. Arrangement of Ghost Kicks or Snares is paramount to a good sounding groove. It's a case of moving them around until they sound like the Ghosts almost act as a springboard for your main hits to bounce off of.

If your main snare is made up of 3 or 4 layers - try using just 2 of layers at a lower velocity or use the whole bounced snare sound at a lower velocity together with EQ so it sounds like the snare has a slightly lesser attack than your main Snare. The ghosts should almost sound like they are sitting in the back of the mix.

thats pretty much it, you just place quieter snares in between your main kick and main snare, adding ghost kicks and snares together will create the shuffle type rollin beats.

ok, so to make ghost snares i should use the snares that I am originally using in my song, correct? and you said EQ but what part of the snare should i EQ? should i cut the low? high? boost mid? what?! by the way, thank you so much for all the help. like seriously, ive been ripping my hair out over this for quite some time.

Last edited:
you dont really "have" to use the same sound, you can just ditch that and get another one if it sounds better.

Mixing a quiet rimshot with a short-decay noise hit is a good place to start.

EQ-wise:
lose top end -> gain force
lose bass -> gain stealth.

Last edited:
ok, so to make ghost snares i should use the snares that I am originally using in my song, correct? and you said EQ but what part of the snare should i EQ? should i cut the low? high? boost mid? what?! by the way, thank you so much for all the help. like seriously, ive been ripping my hair out over this for quite some time.

Personally i'd use a sound that i'm already using in the track - ie one or two of the layers of the Snare sound i am already using. I'd use EQ to reduce the volume of the hit overall and shorten the length the sound so its short & punchy.

Personally i'd use a sound that i'm already using in the track - ie one or two of the layers of the Snare sound i am already using. I'd use EQ to reduce the volume of the hit overall and shorten the length the sound so its short & punchy.

Exactly this. So it sounds almost like a click.

i find with ghost snares it always helps to play with the velocities so it adds more groove, also try to keep the hits short n choppy so they sit in the beat without sounding messy (adjust the ADSR of the ghost hits)

if you are after a realistic drum sound, you'll need different samples, ghost notes just sound very very different from high velocity hits. Also, if you have a lot of ghost notes with a main snare hit in the middle and its happening very quickly, the ghost notes just before and after that hit will be louder than the ghosts further away.. its hard for a drummer to change the dynamic so suddenly. also the faster the drumming, the less dynamic differnce you'll get.

Back
Top Bottom