Getting the right kind of beat? (Help me D: )

LiquidTurtle

**Solved** Getting the right kind of beat? (Help me D: )

So, what i need some details about is the following:

How in the world, does the amazing DnB artist Dave Owen (and many other DnB artists)
get the sound that sounds like many hihats after eachother in the background?
I`m not sure if its the hihats i`m hearing, but its some kind of nice roll of some kind of instrument in the background.
It`s pretty hard to explain when i`m not quiet sure what it is myself, but here`s exactly what i mean:

Listen to:
Dave Owen - Still Waters

Listen to the part of the drums that are going in the background. I think it sounds a lot like hihats, but seriously though,
does anyone know? If you do, please reply.

Thanks!

Last edited:
That's a break. The easiest way to get those drums are to sample a break beat (look up amen break, think break, worm break these are some of the most popular/used breaks) then chop it up, layer and process to your taste. That's the easy way of putting it. But pro sounding drums unfortunately takes time and practice. Eq is key to keeping your drums coherent.

Most common drums in dnb are made with a simple two step patten conprising of a kick and snare, which on there own sounds pretty borinig.....so breaks (pre-programmed drum pattens) are layed at the same tempo under the basic two step patten. More than one layer can be added, often maybe only parts will be added......Once eq and compression ect is added the the various layers sound like one.....In laymans terms.....

of course theres a lot more involved in the whole process. Such as automating the patterns with various effects, adding and removing parts at various points in the track, eq'ing correctly.....Making the drums are my favourite bit about producing.

A good programe to start learing this would be in Reason using the redrum machine to make a simple two step beat and then the rex machine to layer breaks with.

Back
Top Bottom