DnB Getting the best Kick Drum

PlasticRecords

When getting my kick drum nice and punchy I use two kicks one nice deep one and one snappy one and layer them together, rolling off the top of the deep one and the bottom of the snappy one, this usually gives me the best result plus a little EQ and compression.

one tip i learnt for higher endz of a kick is to grab one of the samples you're using - chuck that into a sampler and adjust the adsr so its pretty much just a click (like almost zero attack zero decay a decent amount of sustain and a tiny amount of release, then high pass round 200hz and then layer that too

Sometimes if u don't want to change original sample character try to use two or three copies of it with different effects like transient shaping, saturation and off eq all of them. This is a really effective way to shape acoustic ones which usually sounds too bland for edm.

one tip i learnt for higher endz of a kick is to grab one of the samples you're using - chuck that into a sampler and adjust the adsr so its pretty much just a click (like almost zero attack zero decay a decent amount of sustain and a tiny amount of release, then high pass round 200hz and then layer that too

This, transient clicks really help beef up kicks.

Its all in the layering, find a few good samples that work, make sure they are in key, find one with a nice tight low end and low pass that so you get that nice boom, then layer with mids/tops of the kick, bus together, compress, then bounce.

Izotope alloy 2 is your friend, some amazing presets in there for drums, "Big Bottom End" on the Kicks really gets them sounding tight and meaty.

This, transient clicks really help beef up kicks.

Its all in the layering, find a few good samples that work, make sure they are in key, find one with a nice tight low end and low pass that so you get that nice boom, then layer with mids/tops of the kick, bus together, compress, then bounce.

Izotope alloy 2 is your friend, some amazing presets in there for drums, "Big Bottom End" on the Kicks really gets them sounding tight and meaty.

What this guy said. Sometimes a bit of saturation sounds good on drums

Transient designers, parallel compression, distortion, compression, whatever

the most important thing is to start off with a good sample

Ok here is how I break my kicks down!

Layering:

-Choose Sounds
-Layer all sounds How I want them.
-Place limiter on top and leave it open til 0db.

Then...

-I place a compressor on top of everything, then compress it down properly to where you are only getting all of your frequency ranges playing out evenly but without going too far or too much. Which ruins your sound. Play with threshhold, then I personally prefer a tight ratio of around 8-9.9. It really adds for SUCH TIGHTNESS...

After you are done with compressing your kick should just in general be 100% more beefed up then before!

I find that if it still needs a bit of balancing by bringing it out, I would place something like Tesla PRO, which ill link you to, its free, and a saturation VST! Then I play with saturation to further tighten out that sound and bring it together much more then before!

Then I render a sample of the kick or snare! :P <3 hope that helps!

Ok here is how I break my kicks down!

Layering:

-Choose Sounds
-Layer all sounds How I want them.
-Place limiter on top and leave it open til 0db.

Then...

-I place a compressor on top of everything, then compress it down properly to where you are only getting all of your frequency ranges playing out evenly but without going too far or too much. Which ruins your sound. Play with threshhold, then I personally prefer a tight ratio of around 8-9.9. It really adds for SUCH TIGHTNESS...

After you are done with compressing your kick should just in general be 100% more beefed up then before!

I find that if it still needs a bit of balancing by bringing it out, I would place something like Tesla PRO, which ill link you to, its free, and a saturation VST! Then I play with saturation to further tighten out that sound and bring it together much more then before!

Then I render a sample of the kick or snare! :P <3 hope that helps!
What would you say is a good threshold and attack/release setting for kicks? Just wondering..

What would you say is a good threshold and attack/release setting for kicks? Just wondering..

Sharpish attack and Longer release

More open threshold usually bit less than the mid point

In terms of ratio again you have to go by ear really.

There is no general rule, unless you only use the same hit in every track

apart from the click tip above i really dont do alot of processing on the kick... as long as you mix it right and give it its own space in the track shit should be fine.

i do however do alot of processing on the hole drum buss.... parallel overdrive, then compress the royal fuck out of it... i will put my verb on the parallled cos its more "behind" in the mix and you dnt end up with a messy muddy mix... your drums should be fine and stand out as long as there is space

Nothing is the best setting... only you yourself can find the real setting that works for you and only you I couldn't tell you! Justp lay with the compressor and learn how it fully truly works! Thats what I did. I knew nothing at first, now I know every single last thing bout a compressor minus a few things here there which I am still learning but yeah! practice is key here My friend!

Like alot of other people have said, getting a good few kicks that work together, layer them, parallel compression, transient shapers etc

Back
Top Bottom