Getting Rid Of Unwanted Strings???

Discussion in 'Production' started by AJ RUFF, Oct 20, 2011.

1. AJ RUFF

AJ RUFF New Member

Hi guys,

I have found a vocal sample that i really want to use, however there are strings being played very faintly in the background, they are not very overpowering, but are loud enough clash with other instruments with in my track.

I was wondering if there is a solution to getting rid of the strings, or at least making them not so noticeable. Would noise gating or EQ be of any help? and if so, what would I be doing?

If anyone is able to help me, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

2. JimpaDirt

JimpaDirt Vettvilling

Melodyne would be a great tool for that! it sorts out all the diffrent notes for you and lets you erase or change the note to a diffrent pitch.. I havn't tried it personally but it's probably gonna be my next buy :D think it's around 40 quid.

Thats all I can give u atleast... but money is... money :(

3. AJ RUFF

AJ RUFF New Member

Thanks for the reply mate, it sounds cool but at this moment in time i'm skint and don't have 40 quid to spare :cry:

4. Riisu

Riisu Not the Preacher Man

It's closer to £300 for Melodyne DNA. I think Melodyne Essential is under £100, but pretty sure that only handles monophonic audio editing.

Oh, and you could always try using an expander to help out. Or if the vocals are in the middle, try some phase revesal of L & R. Or a bit of both.

5. Attire

Attire Last Winter

EQing might be tough because the two sounds are in similar frequency ranges aren't they?
    Could try a notch on the high end, though it will take the hiss from the vocals.

It's a bloody difficult thing to do, and I'm highly sceptical of any of these programmes that claim to isolate vocals...!

6. T:M

T:M Dusty Techno Workout

This.

Without expensive software you're goin' to have some difficulty getting those strings out of the way without harming your vocals. You could try to do the phase inversion trick if you have the exact same part but with just the strings, but I doubt that there is access to that not to mention all the variables involved for it to be anywhere near decent.