- getting production up to label worthiness: pls advise..Carousel (ft Don Draper)

Couple of thin before I even listened to the track:

1. There is a separate subforum for feedback on tunes: http://dnbforum.com/forums/new-talent-and-track-reviews.21/
But since this is your first post, all good.

2. This is you first post! Welcome to the forum!

3. Today, you can release any tune. How shit it is. I'm know there are a few labels out there that sing everything. Literally everything.
It's just how you want to get perceived as a producer. Releasing on those kind of labels, or on more known and quality labels.

4. If you want to send a tune to a label, do not put the full version on your soundcloud. Why would people pay for a tune that they can hear full on your page? Best would be to send a private link to the label. And, if absolutely necessary (which would be like... almost never) you can upload a wip.
Only upload tunes of which you will be sure you will never send them to labels.

Alright, after listening to the tune:

It alright. Sub is a quite missing, and the drums are quite standard, but the idea and arrangement and stuff are very good.

Thanks Crizis, yes the posting advice make sense, if I want to send to a label I may need to either take it down or replace it with a shorter version, noted on drum and subs, this is the sort of feedback I need, have been lazy on the drums, I should cut back on girls and Battlestar Galactic reruns, what about suggested labels?

No probs, glad I can help!
Haha yea i get the laziness though, exactly the same here... I just say to myself it wont matter that much.
Actually you should fix everything you hear you can make better. If that makes sense. But since I'm also lacking in that part... Heh... First world producer problems I guess.

On the what label part: I'm really rubbish at remembering labels I can send my tunes to, but there is a great thread here (link below) with alot of recommendations, really awesome thread.
http://dnbforum.com/threads/what-label-thread.178899/

I like the harmonies, elements and all the song writing stuff, with the exception of the intro which I find too long (but that is highly subjective, and you should disregard it if that's how you want the intro to be :))

When it comes to production quality I think there's still a lot of work than can be done with eq and volume alone, which you should be able to pick out yourself by referencing against another track you like the sound of.
Overall, I think the sound lacks a bit cohesion. It's more a collection of instruments playing different sounds rather than an ensemble creating a soundscape together. After you have done the eq and volume work, you should try to glue stuff together by making sure you use the same reverb and delay sends for the various elements (in stead of using reverb (especially) and/or delay either from the plugins generating the sounds (synths, samplers) or as inserts. You might also consider some extra layering pads at low volume and low on character to fill out the soundscape a bit, which should make it less obvious to pick out the individual main elements.
Gentle saturation/compression on buses can also help. If you don't know much about compressors, try throwing a Variety of Sound FerricTDS with the "Classic Tape" preset on your buses and see how you like the sound.

Also, at 5:42 there's an audible click that sounds suspiciously like a sample or audio event that's abruptly cut instead of faded out. You should go over your project and fix all stuff like that, because those kinds of clicks sound amateur and horrible at loud volumes. They can also throw compressors and limiters off their tracks if the click is loud enough, so make sure you fix it.

Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom