Getting my first DJ setup

brgil96

Hey guys, I'm starting on DJing and need your opinion on what setup to get.

I've been practicing for a while now using only keyboard&mouse with traktor, used a controller a few times too. I already got the "basics" of mixing dnb (I will be mixing DnB mostly, if not only), like phases, eqing and such, and can do a little something with manual beatmatching on controllers (without visual help whatsoever of course).
Now, here's the thing: i know controller DJs are often looked down upon, so i considered these ways to go:

-Digital vinyl system, be it with turntables or CDJs (prefered way, but would be kind of hard to get everything I need with my current budget);
-regular CDJ setup (don't really want to)
-a decent controller

The problem is that I'm pretty short on money, being a full time student, so I have a limit of about 250£, consequently I'll be buying whichever setup it is used.
My goal is to start gigging locally within a few months (I can do so easily, no need to explain why now). Which setup do you recommend?
Also, lets say I got myself a turntable based DVS, would it be easy to go into a club and pop the DVS into their CDJsand work from there, is it in any way similar to turntables?

Sorry for the long post :oops_sign

unlikely youd be able to use cdjs in a club without any prior experience.
I've seen plenty of djs using a controller in a club however i really wouldnt go that way cause it would probably limit you in the long run and youll end up wanting to learn to use cdjs/turntables.
Also it might be a bit naive to think that beatmatching is an easy thing to completely get the hand of cause it isnt, especially if you want to do some quick mixing...

earn some money and get a dvs but i guess that isnt what u want to here

I've been practicing for a while now using only keyboard&mouse with traktor, used a controller a few times too. I already got the "basics" of mixing dnb (I will be mixing DnB mostly, if not only), like phases, eqing and such, and can do a little something with manual beatmatching on controllers (without visual help whatsoever of course).

My goal is to start gigging locally within a few months (I can do so easily, no need to explain why now).

0V5qY.gif

anyways, i'd go with cdj-s

Honestly? I did basically the same thing, the first time I played out by myself was also the first time I used CDJs. If you really can (and I mean REALLY, not cheating yourself) beatmatch without technical help then it is very possible, and if its just a warm up set with a few people watching then go for it. But even though CDJs have BPM counters please don't rely on them as they tend to be inaccurate sometimes (It got it right most times but some tunes are random BPM like 112, and if you can't beatmatch without numbers, you're fucked). I think with CDJs its definitely possible (which is also the route I recommend, simply because it is easy just rocking up with your CDs instead of a Laptop and everything). Vinyl on the other hand is a whole different matter...

Oh and I know some of you may slate me for this, but if you can really do cool stuff on the Controller, that you can't do on decks you can roll with that. DnB is far too judgey, Selection is more important than beatmatching, we don't exactly cook on open fire just because it's how it all started and because its keepin it real. I choose CDs because Vinyl is too expensive for me (I have a record collection, but I only buy stuff that I REALLY like) and I felt a bit like cheating using a Laptop. I just like it more when I don't have to stare at a screen, but who am I to judge?

Point is, do whatever you want just don't go out and play sets if you think you're not good enough, because then you definetely aren't.

Last edited:
0V5qY.gif

anyways, i'd go with cdj-s
I can understand why you would say that, but after seeing the local djs, just... listen for yourself: http://mixlr.com/dub-kage/showreel/

This is probably one of the main reasons that i finally got hooked to the idea of starting to DJ.

Honestly? I did basically the same thing, the first time I played out by myself was also the first time I used CDJs. If you really can (and I mean REALLY, not cheating yourself) beatmatch without technical help then it is very possible, and if its just a warm up set with a few people watching then go for it. But even though CDJs have BPM counters please don't rely on them as they tend to be inaccurate sometimes (It got it right most times but some tunes are random BPM like 112, and if you can't beatmatch without numbers, you're fucked). I think with CDJs its definitely possible (which is also the route I recommend, simply because it is easy just rocking up with your CDs instead of a Laptop and everything). Vinyl on the other hand is a whole different matter...

Oh and I know some of you may slate me for this, but if you can really do cool stuff on the Controller, that you can't do on decks you can roll with that. DnB is far too judgey, Selection is more important than beatmatching, we don't exactly cook on open fire just because it's how it all started and because its keepin it real. I choose CDs because Vinyl is too expensive for me (I have a record collection, but I only buy stuff that I REALLY like) and I felt a bit like cheating using a Laptop. I just like it more when I don't have to stare at a screen, but who am I to judge?

Point is, do whatever you want just don't go out and play sets if you think you're not good enough, because then you definetely aren't.
I totally agree with you, too bad most people can't see that yet. I believe it's mainly due to guys like the one I posted above, who are giving us a bad reputation. Somehow that guy gets regular gigs here and there, however, even tho they like the kind of music he plays, people keep saying he sucks (god, does he). I believe he only gets gigs because he knows the promoters lol.

"Today anyone can be a DJ with software, but not everyone can be a good DJ." -someone on them interwebs

unlikely youd be able to use cdjs in a club without any prior experience.
I've seen plenty of djs using a controller in a club however i really wouldnt go that way cause it would probably limit you in the long run and youll end up wanting to learn to use cdjs/turntables.
Also it might be a bit naive to think that beatmatching is an easy thing to completely get the hand of cause it isnt, especially if you want to do some quick mixing...

earn some money and get a dvs but i guess that isnt what u want to here
Is beatmatching on a turntable that different from beatmatching on a CDJ that after learning it on a turntable first I couldn't get the hang of the CDJs? That's my original question if you didnt understand.

Anyway, if I do go for CDJ ("true" vinyl ain't a choice, that's why I mentioned DVS), what setup would you recommend with that budget?

Oh, and thanks for the replys already :)

Another fast question, if using a decent controller to manual beatmatch (and once again I mean manual/by ear, no visual aids, be it waveforms, on screen BPM or whatever), using the jog to pitch bend and such, isn't it pretty much the same than beatmatching on a CDJ?

Last edited:
I can understand why you would say that, but after seeing the local djs, just... listen for yourself: http://mixlr.com/dub-kage/showreel/

This is probably one of the main reasons that i finally got hooked to the idea of starting to DJ.

holy hell thats's some seriously poor mixing there indeed...

thing is...i just don't have respect for djs with a controller. nothing against people using it in their bedrooms for practising or making podcasts or mixes- thats cool. cause it's all about fun and stuff...but in a club - i personally don't want to see that. i want to see dj-s who are using serious equipment and know what they're doing. let's be honest - a controller isn't serious piece of equipment.

Opinions are opinions, and mine is that a controller is a tool, like a CDJ, a mixer or a turntable are tools. What matters is the music and the skills, and these can be achieved using any of the tool. I do however agree that one shouldn't go out with a controller without knowing some stuff that you don't need to use them, but need to use CDJs or turntables, like beatmatching and so on.

Anyway, above questions? :)

it can be a serious piece of equipment, it just works in a different way. If you really know what you are doing then you can do some absolutely insane stuff with it that would otherwise be impossible, especially if you are a producer. The problem is that most "laptop djs" dont or more so cant do this, and deliver a lame uninspired set that could easily have been done on CDJs or whatever.

as for the questions above, I dunno if you can really get a good setup for that money because cdjs are friggin expensive, look for second hand stuff on ebay, maybe you can find yourself a good deal. Another option would be to ask your promoter ( I am assuming you know the guy, because you said you could get sets), if you can borrow the equipment a bit,or just practice a bit on it when nobodys using them. you probably won't be very happy if you buy some low end CDJs.
I think that it's not that different from a cdj if you can beatmatch by ear, you have a pitchfader and you ride that up and down, the tunes stay the same so I don't think that should be a major problem, it's just that you may need some time to adjust to the new format.

That's mostly why I wanted to avoid CDJs, because at this price point i believe all I can get is a pair of CDJ 100, and I dont think I'll be happy with those either :\
I could use the equipment in the actual club every now and then, but no more than that, and obviously I want something to practice in the house

That seems like a good option, as long as I can find a cheap pair of ndx400 that is willing to ship to Portugal. Every cdj is mostly the same, so I would be able to switch between those and the standard Pioneers pretty easily right?

if your serious... save up and get something decent rather than rushing into it... i have my 2 channel djm 350 and not even a year later i wanna get a 4 channel xone or something :( but i saved and got 850's and they are the fucking bees nees its also midi compatible for the bedroom and laptop :)

If you can mix on 100s, you can deffo mix on 800s or 1000s or even 400s which are what you'll se in most clubs. I am guessing the same goes for the numark too, it just gets easier/more comfortable as the prices go up (and mp3 compatibility but you'll wanna use audio cd's anyway). I think 3 or 4 decks is still a bit ahead of him so I think its fine if he just gets a used 2 channel mixer.

Put it this way mate, I mixed on vinyl for a few years before going for CDJ's. My mate has some of those NDX's and I learnt to use them before getting my CDJ800's, bar the jogwheel and a few functions they are nearly identical to my pioneers to mix on, just have a horrible pitch fader and a small jog wheel with limited scratch capabilities. They are the best you're gonna get on the cheap though unless you score a set of 800's cheap.

Go with what you can afford and what YOU like.

Harsh truth. With that budget you will need to upgrade very soon.

Don't expect to be anything other than pretty shit after just a few months.
After about 2 years you may be an "meh ok dj"

Time/money/patience/practise
You will need all 4 of those. Don't worry everyone was the same when they started. Get what you can and enjoy doing it.

I'd hold out a little on that budget if I was you. How long will it be til you can get the same amount again?

I'd just buy a piece for your setup each time as realistically you're going to get dicked on trying to get a full setup for 250 euros, you will just end up wasting money.

holy hell thats's some seriously poor mixing there indeed...

thing is...i just don't have respect for djs with a controller. nothing against people using it in their bedrooms for practising or making podcasts or mixes- thats cool. cause it's all about fun and stuff...but in a club - i personally don't want to see that. i want to see dj-s who are using serious equipment and know what they're doing. let's be honest - a controller isn't serious piece of equipment.

Only in dnb is that opinion held. No one else cares apart from elitist dnb djs

I'd hold out a little on that budget if I was you. How long will it be til you can get the same amount again?

I'd just buy a piece for your setup each time as realistically you're going to get dicked on trying to get a full setup for 250 euros, you will just end up wasting money.

I thought about that too, thing is It'll take me a long time to get this ammount of cash again ( I only got it now because birthday 2 weeks ago + easter now + some savings, so id get a similar ammount only by christmas, and that's if I can get some way to make money during summer), and I wanna start practicing asap. I know that, if buying this kind of setup I WILL have to upgrade sooner or later, but I guess it's better than just waiting without doing anything

Back
Top Bottom