Getting Massive to use the assigned velocity/volume in Cubase

Discussion in 'Production' started by SynesthesiaC, Oct 26, 2008.

1. SynesthesiaC

SynesthesiaC Member

This has been driving me insane for a while now. I have a midi part in cubase where the volume of each note changes a lot, and for some reason massive just completely ignores the volume assigned to each note in cubase, it just plays them all the same. I'm fading a track in from silent, using the Main Volume controller, CC7.

I obviously need to set something up to get it to read the volume from cubase. I think that I have to link the volume in the macro section to the velocity in cubase, but the manual doesn't really outline how you can do this from what I've read.

All I want to do is get massive to crescendo the volume of a part over a given time scale, ie, start softly and then get louder.

Anyone know about how to do this? Or am I missing something very simple here?

This text from the manual might be relevant, but I cant quite work out what to do with it:

:confused:

[EDIT] Just found out the velocity controller is working, for my midi keyboard and for the velocities I ener in cubase, for some reason, yay :D But using the main volume controller in cubase to get it to fade in from silent is still proving impossible to do.....]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  2. LineOne

LineOne The Cubase Man

ello m8. What you do is on ur track list where ur folders are.

you will see vst instruments and it will have a little + on the box. click that box so ur vst automation opens. you then
    have change ur automation from the vst lanes insead of the midi lanes.

took me sum time to work that out too lol

if u dont understand ask more and ill try and explain better.

3. SynesthesiaC

SynesthesiaC Member

Thanks m8, but yeah, afraid i'm gonna need a bit more :). I got as far as opening the project browser by clicking project > browser, then selected the + by the VSTi box, selected the synth I want, MASSIVE 5, but not sure where to go from there as I cant see any "vst lanes" or "midi lanes" options to use.

I'm using Cubase SX3 btw, dunno if its any different to urs...

4. Dj Dirty Pimp

Dj Dirty Pimp Active Member

I have also got some trouble with massive

ive got it to work in fruity loops

I get a nice wobble, but as soon as i paint it on piano roll and push play the LFO is non existant, yet if i click on massive and play it thru my keyboard, or even on the keyboard in piano roll it wobbles like a good un. push play just the noise plays.

helP! cheers

5. LineOne

LineOne The Cubase Man

right ok here we go.

i wil guide u through the process from the start.

Open cubase

Make A New Project

Choose Empty To Start With

Then choose what Directory you want you projec saved to

once you done that you will see the cubase project widow open. on the left of this you should see 2 blue colums.

Now at the top, click Project > add track > midi

you should now see in the blue column on the right the track and on the blue colum on the left you should see the track options.

now add your vst from the insruments pane.

now in the blue columm on the right you should see a folder track (its a blue bar with a pic of a folder on it)

in the track settings on the left below where it sais in: it sais out: click the black box and make sure that its set to the name of ur vst. which is gunna b massive.

once you have done that go back to the vst folder track then click the + sign on the folder track and it should drop down some more track lanes like volume, pan, linked panner and so on.

click the + sign until you find the automation lane you want. then edit the black line with the pencil tool when you edit the line it should turn to a different colour than black.

when you editing automation for a vst you have to make sure your editing the vst lane and not the midi lane.

i hope this has helped ya. if you still cant work it out them im sorry but u either need to read the manual completley or cubase jus aint for you m8 lol. let me know if you cant and ill still try and help you out neway lol

safe

as for the question about massive and fruity im sorry but i dont know f all really about fruity. sorry m8

SynesthesiaC

Check my post on cubase basics as from the sounds of it you havnt even opened a project window m8.

http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php?t=56137

6. SynesthesiaC

SynesthesiaC Member

Cheers dude, That worked a treat (y) I just wasn't expecting an entirely new lane to appear, was didn't think that was relevant last time. I've seen those lanes b4 but never really used them. Now I know what they're for :D

And I have a moderate knowledge of cubase, I did music tech A level a few years ago, but my teacher was real crap, he was more a music teacher than a music tech teacher. Most of time the students had to tell him what to do when it got complex, so I didn't really learn too much. I cant believe I wrote this song yesterday in cubase without knowning how to fade in and out the main volume, when I needed something quieter than it had been previously I just added a new midi track with the same instrument and put the master volume down in Massive, ended up with about 30 tracks :rolleyes:

7. LineOne

LineOne The Cubase Man

yeah it got me the first time i used automation. i was doing it on the midi track and thinking why the fuck aint this working lol