getting direct & powerful sub bass??

unknownelementz

Elementz
hi does anyone hav any pointers about creating a direct & powerful sub frequency, i jus cnt seem 2 get it so its powerful but not over powering, and so it feels direct and doesnt feel like it is really loose and all over the place? any tips on wot frequencies people try and aim 4? ( i try hit around 50hz) or on different,eq's, compresssors, or tips of any kind? wud b apreciated??

Sub bass in a pure sine form is already powerful enough unprocessed and when you hit the right notes. You're probably after a more defined sound which will be hard to hear if your speakers aren't capable or your room isn't treated. I've been having troubles with sub bass lately (again) and I have a sub! I blame the room though.

Slam a sine wave through 3 eqs
roll of the top around 60-70hz
And the bottom at 30hz
Push to 0db
Compress with short attack, long release
Threshold of choice (3:1 or higher)
Finished =] lol
There is also a set of note you wanna use that make your sub sound big,
But remember sub must be felt not heard ;)

I am big fan of using headphones for production,with real sub its hard and expensive to get decent freqency range.Even when you have big expensive sub theres allways parents,neighbors and your room with bad acoustics.

Is there any point putting it through a short attack/long release compressor? as opposed to just giving it a 5-6 db limit? (I don't know, just asking)

Also I get the low end roll off (but is it not ok to leave that til the mastering stage?) but if I understand what Kama and others have said there's no need to roll off the top of a sine wave as it hits where it hits and nowhere else (no harmonics)

^^^ imho, it does matter, you can emphasize the rhytm of the bass more if you compress it, but youre right, you could easily just limit it aswell if you just want it to be thick.

and for the hipass, id do that during the mixdown, as it gives you room to louden other elements!

To create a powerfull subbass do this. Get ANY note on your fav synth (you'd rather choose lower bassier ones), route it through an LP filter then, turn Res up to almost the entire (just one quarter before the full I think will do) resonance amount.
Now search for the loudest and bassiest sounding freq with the Frequency Rotor.
Anything else is just processing that raw sound. I usually limit and add VERY SOFT distortion which prevents it from rumbling here and there.

Back
Top Bottom