Getting aquainted with CDJs

Eskei

How long would you say it takes to get used to CDJs coming from vinyl/serato?

Me and a friend have the opportunity to play out soon, but the setup in the club is 2 CDJ 1000s. We've never used CDJs before, but I've been watching some videos on YouTube and it looks fairly straightforward. Am I being stupidly naive or will we be fine?

Oh, if anyone fancies a laugh at our expense it's at Carbon in Oxford on June 8th.

Cheers guys

Me and a friend have the opportunity to play out soon, but the setup in the club is 2 CDJ 1000s. We've never used CDJs before, but I've been watching some videos on YouTube and it looks fairly straightforward. Am I being stupidly naive or will we be fine?

Oh, if anyone fancies a laugh at our expense it's at Carbon in Oxford on June 8th.

Cheers guys

A couple of hours?

Been mixing vinyl and using serato for a few years now, and i cant wrap my head round cdj's at all.

Just cant wrap my head round the jog wheel. I mean, how can you nudge something to speed it up or slow it down when its not moving??? lol.

Dont get on with cdj's at all.

If i was in your situation i'd pack up the 1210's and bring them with me haha.

If i was in your situation i'd pack up the 1210's and bring them with me haha.

I find it ridiculous how some clubs don't even have proper TTs nowadays, especially as there are still tracks getting released on vinyl. Basically no one can play an old school set at that club lol.

Goin from Vinyl's to CDJ is a bitch! Takes a good few hour's to get to grips with how to use them, and when a CDJ says it is in vinyl mode don't believe the hype it's nothin like vinyl!!!!

1 BPM = 0.60% on the pitch panel, if u play with usb it shows you the correct BPM's on the display...

3 minutes? ^^ the handling is a bit different with the jockwheel but it's easy as fuck! Vinyl is cooler to mix and sounds better, but heavier to carry to gigs and more expensive!

1 BPM = 0.60% on the pitch panel, if u play with usb it shows you the correct BPM's on the display...

3 minutes? ^^ the handling is a bit different with the jockwheel but it's easy as fuck! Vinyl is cooler to mix and sounds better, but heavier to carry to gigs and more expensive!

This isn't necessarily correct, it depends on the original BPM of the tune but for DnB this is about right. The BPM counter is not always right either, i have a few tunes it thinks are 120 BPM!

I would say that if you are used to pitch riding on TTs it should be fairly straightforward, but at least an hours practice is definitely going to help!

When you're playing out as well remember to check if Auto Cue is on, this is very important, if it is not you will need to manually set a cue point every time you change track.

Good luck too!

Last edited:

This is cheating! I have no respect for anyone that does this. NONE!

Pitch riding on a CDJ takes a little while to get used to. It's very loose and sensitive compared to a 1210.
I've only ever used a cdj twice.

its hardly cheating.... once you know your tunes and the tunes your mixing into it you will eventually get to know... as with vinyl... play songs enough and mix it about it enough you would eventually know how to ride the pitch on everyone tune into every tune... as with vinyl

i don't have BPM counters, but because i know the BPM of most of my tunes, it just came naturally that i know what % i have to adjust to get them locked...i don't rely on this though

Pitch riding on a CDJ takes a little while to get used to. It's very loose and sensitive compared to a 1210.

I dont get what your beef with this is mate, you've called me up on this before so I feel its only right you explain to us why its cheating?

I've mixed on vinyl before cdjs so i can ride the pitch and often do, but why slow my mixing down fiddling with the pitch when I know exactly where it's got to be?

I can't mix on CDJs without touching the platter, tried so many times. Weird because it's not a problem on turntables.

I dont get what your beef with this is mate, you've called me up on this before so I feel its only right you explain to us why its cheating?

I've mixed on vinyl before cdjs so i can ride the pitch and often do, but why slow my mixing down fiddling with the pitch when I know exactly where it's got to be?

I wouldnt say its cheating. But i would agree i have no respect for people who do it.

Cheers guys

10 minutes...........by the way Carbon is where i do my events.....What night you playing at matey?

- - - Updated - - -

this sounds so gay.....getting all technical......just mix it up and dont worry about it

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't necessarily correct, it depends on the original BPM of the tune but for DnB this is about right. The BPM counter is not always right either, i have a few tunes it thinks are 120 BPM!

I would say that if you are used to pitch riding on TTs it should be fairly straightforward, but at least an hours practice is definitely going to help!

When you're playing out as well remember to check if Auto Cue is on, this is very important, if it is not you will need to manually set a cue point every time you change track.

Good luck too!

gay ....... Too technical....

1.put cd in
2.press play to cue
3.just jog wheel to beat match

- - - Updated - - -

this is such a common misconception...... you cant use this to beatmatch....its not acurate.....ive used cdjs for 6years, ive seen almost every mainstream dj use cdjs and no one ive seen uses anything in the display to beat match....

with cdjs its quicker to use your ears than cross reference the display.....it really doesnt work like that.

- - - Updated - - -

before this thread gets all beard stroky.......who cares whos mixing with what and how they doing it.....Your main focus as a dj is to entertain a crowd.....you think the geezer off he's nut on pills is gonna give a flying fuck who's using cdjs or 1210s 0r a controller with a sync button....NO, as long as people are enjoying music and dancing ot really doesnt matter.....Every one has different skill levels and methods and styles ect.

Sometimes people take music far too serious in this game.....Its the entertainmant business at the end of the day. Chill.

Auto Cue is important as hell haha! If its not in (it normally is on though) then you will cue track one every time you press the cue button unless you set a cue point on each track when you load it.

Unless all your tunes are the same BPM you aint going to get very far just using just the jog wheel to beat match either ;)

Auto Cue is important as hell haha! If its not in (it normally is on though) then you will cue track one every time you press the cue button unless you set a cue point on each track when you load it.

Unless all your tunes are the same BPM you aint going to get very far just using just the jog wheel to beat match either ;)

hahahahah.....oh dear

forget auto cue and cueing points!!!! mate bang the cd in, play at the right point like youd push a vinyl at the right point, use jog wheel and the pitch same as a 1210.

its not rocket science....i can use any cdj with the display covered up in black tape

- - - Updated - - -

if your not the first dj on the night then usually theyll already be set up correctly and ready to go

Back
Top Bottom