Getting a sub-bass this deep

Cat Gas

Aka Basis
VIP Junglist
I understand in order to have a ridiculously deep sub bass, you need harmonics and movement, but knowing that, I still really struggle to get an extremely low sub like this:

Can anyone help? :\

Last edited by a moderator:
The note the sub-bass plays a very important part of hitting that bass 'sweet spot'. Try changing the key of the song until you can get the sub bass as low as possible without it becoming inaudible.

It really is all about the source selection of sounds. if you select a sound and it is not right you will need to synthesize sub into it using another oscillator an octave below it. The component needs to exist in the sound source. As someone above said sub resides in the fundamental frequency usually and harmonics not required for this. Normally < 100Hz

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
Mastering studio

in all honesty get a hard synth, sine waves sound king from the go.

like others have said it's also the note. don't over do it with sub, sometimes just a sine wave and some carefull compression & EQ will get you that deep sub bass

i use around 3 - 4 samples repitched layered and some disto... never use synths for bass, well i do if the song is im producing doesnt like the chords im layering spose thats not much help but....

i only use analog synths and a emu sampler but people think these vstis are as good (bullshit) so this should work for you too

square wave, single osc to start. set the LP filter to about 90-100khz with about 20-30% resonance. assign your modulation envelope to the lowpass filter cutoff to about -15% and move down to taste. these setting for the ENV will work but just play with em to get it right for the context of the song,
attack - 0
decay - 25-50%
sustain - 100%
release set to taste
i got a pretty close sound trying to recreate that with a korg monotribe resampled into my emu then resampled into NI Maschine, its quite easy to make bass that deep with analogs, really takes no production knowledge at all, just fingers. ;) It sounds like there is some nice light overdrive on the bass there too thats why id suggest a square wave for something like this.

ps little tip, dont waste your time eqing or compressing a sine wave on its own, only if say its in a group in part of the whole mix or whatever. a sine should be that deep to start with but i find often a square wave works better but its all to taste at the end of the day.
good tune thanks for sharing, love techno

i only use analog synths and a emu sampler but people think these vstis are as good (bullshit)

agreed, going hardware was the best thing i've done musically.

saying that, the Cakewalks new z3ta has a pretty monsterous sound to it. Massive is way over hyped.

Make 2 group channels, one named <100 one >100. In the <100 group, put your sub bass. In the >100 group put everything else. Highpass >100 at 100hz and make absolutely sure no rogue frequencies make it through by using a freq analyzer. Now limit the tits out of <100, barely any attack and a low threshhold. Now keep this <100 signal clean as possible, no distortion. Done!

Just curious, how is a sine wave produced by hardware better than digital? Especially deep sub which is less about character and more about pitch and amplitude.

Also, a lot of people have been saying massive is shit for sub, but surely every single sound can be viewed as a collection of sine waves and if filtered sharply and pitched down will give sub bass. Dunno, don't have massive, but noticed people saying that recently.

The whole "who uses what" argument is so dumb, if you can make big sub bass by rubbing your bum cheeks together then fair! Does not matter how you get there.

Agree with Russla.

For my track "Jump" - http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/downloadstore/release/22088

I simple ran a Sine wave... then added a second sine wave an ocatave higher EQd the resulting subs to make sure no they didnt clash. ie.... the first SUB Sine.... EQ it with a Low pass filter set at around 50hz say.... with a slight slope... then for the octave higher sub sine... eq it with a band pass filter with the bottom shelf at 50hz with a slight slope and the top shelf at 80 or 100hz....

play around with it till it sounds full and meaty. JOB DONE. save it as a preset for easy use in future.

if you can make big sub bass by rubbing your bum cheeks together then fair!.

You win my chuckle of the day. Haha that made me laugh.
But yeah, how is a hardware sine wave better than a sine wave made with a soft synth or tone generator. Surely it's exactly the same.

You win my chuckle of the day. Haha that made me laugh.
But yeah, how is a hardware sine wave better than a sine wave made with a soft synth or tone generator. Surely it's exactly the same.

I've often wondered the same thing and the answer I usually find is that it comes down to personal preference.

Hardware synths provide a certain "warmth" in tone, most likely an aural bi-product of their analogue/circuitry construction.

Personally, my go-to sub is the default sine found in Logic's EXS24.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom