Getting a Manager

sparkyc10

Kentish Junglist
VIP Junglist
i'm having a chat with a guy whose interested in being my manager and sortin me out more frequent and better work. apart from the obvious negative point of that its likely to cost about 50% of your wage has anyone got any helpful points, opinions or anythin they think i should look out for or be wary of before agreeing? ive never been represented by someone before so any advice would be much appreicated (quickly if possible cos im leaving to meet him in half hour :2thumbs: ) thanks (y) :smash:

i am by no means a professional in tha industry, but i am interested in knowing why would u need a manager? cant u send in your mix to places u want to spin at? or im sure u can use connections with dj friends they're bound to help u get a gig. someone always knows someone.

but, maybe u should get a lawyer that specializes in the music industry and write up a contract. and make sure its precise, understandable to both parties. this will be a binding contract so neither one of u gets screwed over

I doubt an agent would usually take 50% of earnings. More like 10-20%. Although I have no knowledge or experience on this subject.

the percentage a manager can take is bound by law (in the US at least), and cant exceed sumpthin like 12%.

An agency fee is about 10-15%
If he takes half then you'll end up with fuck all tbh, how much do you make per gig?

sparkyc10 said:
i'm having a chat with a guy whose interested in being my manager and sortin me out more frequent and better work. apart from the obvious negative point of that its likely to cost about 50% of your wage has anyone got any helpful points, opinions or anythin they think i should look out for or be wary of before agreeing? ive never been represented by someone before so any advice would be much appreicated (quickly if possible cos im leaving to meet him in half hour :2thumbs: ) thanks (y) :smash:

If he suggested 50% he's a really really greedy slimey bastard that really wants to fuck you over. 10% is the norm, normal greedy bastards take 20%.

y dont u get involved with an agency instead of just a single person(manager)

my freinds part of industry artists, and since she joined em shes playin out about twice a week, not sure wat the moneys like but ye

sdm said:
How did it go? :)
it went ok thanks :2thumbs: he wanted 25% (don't know why i thought it was 50% :| ) and i got the impression he wasnt very experienced in dealing with drum & bass djs so i didnt bother. i did meet a really nice vocalist that he manages called leigh-ann though whose pretty damn good so im looking into working with her in the studio on some tracks soon. definitly worth the trip to meet him just for that cos ive been looking for a female vocalist to do some work with for a while now. i think il stick to managing myself for the time being. with part time college and part time work the 4 or 5 gigs a month i do at the moment is probably enough for me so id probably be wasting my money getting involved with him. im only getting about £20 for an hour set at the moment and my sets are usually 1 or 2 hours so theres not really enough £££ to be chucking away on him at the moment. cheers for ur help though everyone :2thumbs: better luck next time eh :thumbsup:

kinda said:
y dont u get involved with an agency instead of just a single person(manager)

my freinds part of industry artists, and since she joined em shes playin out about twice a week, not sure wat the moneys like but ye
cheers for the suggestion mate. i think an agtency sounds a lot more up my street :2thumbs:

sparkyc10 said:
cheers for the suggestion mate. i think an agtency sounds a lot more up my street :2thumbs:

most agencies deal with producer/dj's only (dunno whether u produce or not). could be a tuff one! good luck tho!

agency work is all gud but.............

most agencies will only take u on if u've kinda established ure'self and they think that they can hit promoters up 2 get u work fairly easily.
its catch 22 really cos the more gigs u get the more agencies want u on there books and the bigger the agency the more dj's u're competing against 2 get the work,haha.but basically u should keep doing u're own bookings untill u're so busy that u cant handle it anymore on u're own,then take it 2 an agent and see wa gwan from there.

subz said:
agency work is all gud but.............

most agencies will only take u on if u've kinda established ure'self and they think that they can hit promoters up 2 get u work fairly easily.
its catch 22 really cos the more gigs u get the more agencies want u on there books and the bigger the agency the more dj's u're competing against 2 get the work,haha.but basically u should keep doing u're own bookings untill u're so busy that u cant handle it anymore on u're own,then take it 2 an agent and see wa gwan from there.
sounds like good advice mate. are you the subz that DJ's in pulse by the way?

lokki said:
most agencies deal with producer/dj's only (dunno whether u produce or not). could be a tuff one! good luck tho!
i've been learning in the last couple of months.its been pretty intense studying too cos im doing it as a proper qualification. pickin it up quite easily though so should be putting some tunes up on this site for ratings in the next few months (y)

interesting subject

I play out quite a bit but by no means would i consider getting a manager, fair enuff if your bookings are getting out of hand but agencies are certianly the way to go.

I find it much much better to deal with promoters myself, but perhaps thats more suited to the level I'm at :)

Although saying that trying to run a sound system as well as playing out means I need to take on a technician!

all good

i think having an agent is not such a bad idea.

think of it as invetment, but you must know for sure
that he can promote you and get you better gig's and promotion.
25% is a big cut of your fee, but if this guy can really
push you it may be worth if.

is he working for other djs? how much is he involved in the industry?

Back
Top Bottom