Genre help please

pitts

VIP Junglist
this is a bit of a noob kinda question but its racking my brain for ages

im not sure if its classed as uk funky or breaks but the drum beats mixed with the heavy bass like in the tunes below i really like but i have a really hard time finding it

if im not mistaken its quite big in london and you would hear it at chew the fat. Chew the fat hosted a room in a night in leeds last year but they didnt even open the fucking room coz not enough people came and missed all the people i wanted to see but watched dubfire though

a know the bigger producers that make the sound like mj cole, foamo, a1 bassline but really struggle to find a lot of it

so would really appreciate the help with some other producers like these or a point in the right dirrection on where to find more

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a few Foamo sets and he plays Fidget House.

MJ Cole's sets of late are quite varied as are his productions, not all UK Garage anymore which is not a bad thing as what ever he does is banging but not sure what he calls it or what anyone else calls it.

Maybe pigeon holed as Future Garage but i doubt he would say thats what it is.

Last edited:
Whap'n G ya forget soca music?

They're pure carnival rhythms pitts. Looks like garage's been broadsided by Trinidadians lol!

They all different genres if you ask me.
They all allong the lines of:
funky house/breaks/electro
Wouldn't say garage though...

They get everywhere dont they?

scp-trinidad-and-tobago-enamel-pin-badge.gif

Mind you american rnb has done it's best to kill their music so good luck to them infusing other genres...

Wouldn't call any of that Soca....i know for a fact thats not what Foamo plays, or MJ.

It's hard to say what is what nowadays as there are so many influences, but all those tunes you could hear any of those in a Zinc set, a Jack Beats set, a Foamo set, a Lee Mortimer set....so i'm sticking with the Fidget house/Crack house vibe for all the above.

Wouldn't call any of that Soca....i know for a fact thats not what Foamo plays, or MJ.

It's hard to say what is what nowadays as there are so many influences, but all those tunes you could hear any of those in a Zinc set, a Jack Beats set, a Foamo set, a Lee Mortimer set....so i'm sticking with the Fidget house/Crack house vibe for all the above.

tbh i mainly listen to fidget house but just wondered whether this type of drum beat over the usual fidgety basslines had a particular type of name so i could get more of it

ill post a couple of mixes ive done up 2nite if anyones interested one of them will have a section with this type of sound during it

thanks for the help

Lol! So despite the fact that tunes 2-5 clearly have a soca rhythm and Foamo's even gone to the trouble of including whistles, bongos and african chanting people are doing there best to avoid mentioning the blatant soca vibe (obviously it's soca house if there is such a label). It's a bit like everybody dressing like pearly kings and queens and singing knees up mother brown and then blatantly ignoring the cocney label! I have to assume no one here has been to the carnival? I dont know who Warrior One is but I'm confused as to why his video is full of jamaicans when the sound is Trinidadian..is he looking to start a war?

Basically you lot need to get your arses down to the carnival this august so you learn a bit about the different islands and the vibe they bring coz that's just embarrasing. Ah na lie. Apologies if I sound rude but soca infused house is just that.

Now can somone explain what figit is to me?

Okay mate, so if a tune has whistles, bongos and african chanting in it it's ''Soca House'', sorry but thats bollocks.

Those elements are used in all sorts of music, does that mean all those are Soca too?Does that mean all these Jungle producers from back in the day that used those sounds made Soca instead of Jungle?

Soca influenced some of those tunes maybe but they aint Soca artists or do they produce Soca House!

As for Warrior One, there are two of them.One is from Ireland and the other a Brummie.Judging by the look of them i don't think two white fellas go out to make a Trinidadian sound!

Been to Carnival plenty of times thanks, been going on and off for 18 years....i go to drink,get lean and for the Music i like, not to learn about different islands.Sorry if that sounds ignorant but thats the way it is.

Last edited:
Okay mate, so if a tune has whistles, bongos and african chanting in it it's ''Soca House"

No. I'd define Soca House as music which combines elements of both which is why I think it's the most appropriate term for these tunes. Can't you hear the carnival crying out to you from their grooves Mr G?

To be honest I dont want any beef with you so I'll back down if you can point me to an EZ set where he doesnt clang em? :teeth:

Oh well looks like we'll have to agree to disagree then, i don't want beef either bruv i aint got the time or energy for that shit any more.

I can hear the influence mate, i can...but i disagree on what you think the genre of these tunes are.

Anyway, i do have an EZ where he does clang you know...only the one though and it's not a bad one but when it's him it's like 'Whoa....did he just clang?''

you know its funny Papa Jaro, I couldve sworn you ranted at some poor fellow just a few weeks ago for pigeon-holing tracks into genres and subgenres?!? :smash:

Back
Top Bottom