DnB General loudness in track

berlus

Hello!

I was working on a track of mine for the last few days, and became more and more satisfied with it.. Until I later listened to some other tracks by other producers for some inspiration, and.. Well.. It kinda was totally demotivating. I was immediatly dissapointed in my own track.

For example, I listened to: Mefjus & InsideInfo "Mythos" (out today!) and HYQXYZ & Ghostnotes "Facebreaker".

The first thing I noticed is the overall loudness of the tracks. They are so much louder when played at the same volume level of my own track. Off course, louder doesn't mean better, but still. I was wondering how they managed this?

Anyway, this is my track I am working on:
https://soundcloud.com/berlus/i-hit-her-when-she-talks-back

I use FL Studio 10, Superio Drummer 2.0, Massive, Fabfilter, iZotope Ozone 5, some SPL plugins..

I am very open for all kinds of feedback! Mostly production-wise. :)

Thx!!

loudness usually comes at the mastering stage, assuming a good mixdown, compressor and limiters are used to increase the overall volume. and you are right, its not always better

generally if you have trouble getting the apperent loudness that you want, it means you need to work more on your mixdown, eq - get that perfected before trying mastering techniques for finalizing

loudness usually comes at the mastering stage, assuming a good mixdown, compressor and limiters are used to increase the overall volume. and you are right, its not always better

generally if you have trouble getting the apperent loudness that you want, it means you need to work more on your mixdown, eq - get that perfected before trying mastering techniques for finalizing

Listen to this man, he speaks the truth!

Maybe it's me, but I've noticed superior drummer 2.0 in general sounds very quiet.
Thx for your reply! I'd like to take Noisia as an example. :P They use Superior Drummer 2.0, and I'm sure I don't have to tell you about the tracks of Noisia.. ;)

Thx so much for your time and help. Could you give any specifics? I tried hundreds of different techniques, and I always EQ all my drums and basses etc.. I don't compress that much actually, but I always use a Limiter at the end, over the whole track. Whenever I try to make something louder, it ends up being clipped and distorted, and so the sound changes to something that I didn't have in mind in the first place (eventhough it can be very interesting and experimental). I later thought it may be a DAW related matter, but listen to Billain.. And he uses FL Studio! ;)

Loudness is often created in the mix stage and enhanced further in mastering if required. Frequency, transient to average ratio, image depth, compression, saturation, source samples spectral content, arrangement, instrumental density, bass levels all have a bearing on loudness, not any sole factor a combination of factors.

Cheers

SafeandSound
Best mastering

yep agreed /\ get your mixdown loud rather than trying to do your own 'mastering', all about practice really, you can put your tracks up in the new talent section if you want some more specific advice about your mixdowns

Loudness is often created in the mix stage and enhanced further in mastering if required. Frequency, transient to average ratio, image depth, compression, saturation, source samples spectral content, arrangement, instrumental density, bass levels all have a bearing on loudness, not any sole factor a combination of factors.

Cheers

SafeandSound
Best mastering

Wow thank you for your help and information. Are there any specific guidelines I can fall back to? I found this: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Mixing_and_Mastering/Bass_Mixdown. But if you have any better or more specific tutorials or (e-)books, I am glad to hear that!

yep agreed /\ get your mixdown loud rather than trying to do your own 'mastering', all about practice really, you can put your tracks up in the new talent section if you want some more specific advice about your mixdowns

Thanks! Great advice! I will do that, as soon as I finished a track! :)

Back
Top Bottom