Gear review (Massive Passive)

Thanks for the kind words, well I owe it to my clients to be well equipped for the job. I take my work seriously and want to apply my decision making with the best possible tools available. New equipment to come in 2014.

cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, well I owe it to my clients to be well equipped for the job. I take my work seriously and want to apply my decision making with the best possible tools available. New equipment to come in 2014.

cheers

You already got new gear picked out? cuz, all I'm saying is: VSC-2

Great Review,
I just bought a UAD 2 Quad Custom and you sold me on the software version with your hardware review. I didn't know that passive EQ operated that way. One day I will buy the real thing. It seems like the ultimate tool to sculpt a sound because the bands work in parallel and because you avoid boosting the noise floor with successive passes.

Yes compression is on my mind, faster/clean - flexible compression to be specific, something to complement the valve compressors here. Not sure how accurate the UAD is without hearing it of course, many say it's a great EQ in plug in form. For mastering as a service you need to go the whole hog and have the hardware I think, even if the software it is 97 pct accurate. I like to hit it fairly hard level wise from the converters. The VSC-2 seemed virtually unusable in plug in form (at least for mastering) but of course hardware is often a completely different beast and how it interacts with devices before and after (electrically and tonally) is also critical.

With regards to noise and multiple pass throughs, not really applicable in mastering.. once is plenty even with good conversion. I tend not to use the MP very often on general bass boost duties (sometimes very deep for a sense of scale), but not often, more often the Sontec clone (also an exceptional equalizer) is much more focused in the low end, passive bass eq can be a little less controlled than one would like. But this is what it's all about understanding how specific devices excel in certain areas and how they all come together to create a result greater than their individual parts. The noise floor is around -80dB on the MP in typical usage and whilst it theoretically accumulates with multiple pass throughs it is essentially a non issue unless you are working with classical music.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom