Gap Year

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Griftah, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Griftah

Griftah Member

Trying to plan my gap year atm and a bit stuck on ideas :confused:, was just wondering whether anyone had any interesting stories or things they recommend to do.

At the moment im looking at doing some skiing/chalet work over the winter peroid but thats bout it. And of course fitting in as many dnb events as possible! :twisted:

Cheers for any ideas.

2. GZero

GZero No fear no sound!

thai. land.

3. herojuana

herojuana hairy kuala

i worked from finishing my a levels until mid-late december, then i went and did a snowboarding season in Canada. i couldn't recommend it enough, i was wishing i had failed my january exams at uni so i would have a reason to do another season.

4. Griftah

Griftah Member

Hadnt even thought of Canada as a possibilty for this. Did you work while you were out there? Any companies that you could recommened for planning this kinda thing?

Many thanks

5. Fortune^

Fortune^ ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

I finished my a levels and didnt know what i wanted to do with them. Spent the year working getting paid and laid.

If you take a gap year you can do something fun but even if you don't it will focus you into something you will want to do.

6. GZero

GZero No fear no sound!

never had a gap year, straight to work at 16.

better that way.

7. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

thought you meant leap year. who plans their leap year? i tell you who, my mate melissa who was born on the 29th of feb and has had the pleasure of enjoying altogether five birthdays so far

8. herojuana

herojuana hairy kuala

i didn't work although i had a work visa (apply for a visa as early as possible if you want to do it!)

i had planned on going to vancouver and working there for a couple of months, but it was snowing too much so i just bummed it. living at home in london i was lucky enough to save enough money to do that.

i went with a company called nonstop to learn to ride (i had never boarded on a mountain before i went) which was expensive but set me up really well for the season.

9. Griftah

Griftah Member

Thanks for that, yeah will get on with applying then. Think this is sumin i def wana do.

And lol at the leap year comment, poor girl :(

10. muzzadj

muzzadj POW!

xbox and weed lol

11. Gumby

Gumby New Member

having a gap year isnt very common here. i did it cos i didnt want to go straight to uni without knowing EXACTLY what i wanted to study. i actually took 2 years off cos i was having such a great time.
    i got a full time job, moved out of home, and partied, partied, partied.

dont feel as though you have to rush into studying. having some time off really helps you work out who you are and what you want out of life.

i started uni when i was 20 and finished last year. and now its time for travel... i dont think i'll ever really settle down into a serious career, theres just too much other fun stuff to do.

12. Griftah

Griftah Member

Thanks for that, really helpfull. Was starting to wonder if i would maybe regret taking a year out, many of my mates have gone straight to uni. But when i hear things like this, relaly makes me wana make the most outa the year.

13. Saint

Saint Buried Audio

Go get a flat in amsterdam and live there, best idea ever. Just make sure you have a massive excess of money.

14. Gumby

Gumby New Member

going straight to uni without knowing exactly what you want is the dumbest thing anyone could do.

it just leaves you with a big fuck off loan and a career you dont want.

15. Dj Dirty Pimp

Dj Dirty Pimp Active Member

africa, build huts, teach kids, make clean water etc?

16. CRoOK

CRoOK Audio Artillery

TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL.
    go anywhere you want in the world, i went to australia and new zealand for 6 months, best thing ive ever done. bought a van and a book listing all the skateparks in australia, wed pick a goodun, set up camp next to it for a few days and skate all day. we lived like dogs, not washing for weeks. did stay in hostels in cities to, met some cool people, drunk a lot, had a laugh, got birds (always interesting when your staying in a shared room in a hostel). we stayed longer in australia than we planned, so when we got to NZ it was winter, but that was good, we got some perfect days snowboarding in the mountains. both countries have healthy little DnB scenes, i managed to catch calyx in melbourne which was raw! it sounds so cliche but you do learn a lot about yourself and come back changed.
    TRAVEL TRAVEL TRAVEL

17. *SweetPea*

*SweetPea* LADY VINYL

I had a gap year, and I did nothing, just worked for a year.

I lived on my own by then though, so travelling was a little bit too difficult. Wish I had though, think I'll do something like that when I graduate Uni.

But yeah, do something exciting, travelling is a good option if you have the money to do so.