Gaming PC help

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by rysk, Aug 13, 2011.

1. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

Right, i'm looking into maybe building a gaming pc, my budget is stupidly tight and I know fuck all about PC hardware. I don't need a state-of-the-art system, just one that will run most games smoothely without issues.

I've allready got a desktop PC that is completely screwed, infected with all sorts of crap, runs stupidly slow and has a bitchfit if you try to run more than one programme, so it will be cheaper to just upgrade that.

I'll run you through my current specs and hopefully some of you can tell me what I need to upgrade.

XP Proffesional 2002
    AMD athlon 64 proccesor 1.99Ghz
    radeon xpress 200 graphics card
    385 mb ram (i know i need at least 2gb)
    150gb hard-drive
    a big ass case.

2. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

bumpetybumptings

3. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

you need a whole new set up,

if your looking at a proper gaming pc you need..

4GB of ram 100%
    hdd space is up to you really - i have 750 gb but 500 is easily enough
    you want a quadcore processor ideally around 2.5 ghz i'd say?
    probs a power supply of around 500 watts, just as the better the gfx card you get is, the more power it needs to run it..

harrys much better at all this than i am

4. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

500 gb seems a little unnecesary...seeing as I don't intend on having a MASSIVE collection, surely my current 150 should do? and i've got a couple externals lying about with all my films and tv series on

5. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

yeah fair enough, i just like having the extra space, but then i keep all my music and stuff on my hd as well as games etc.
    also when getting a case take into account fans, best to get two really as if your gaming a lot it works the pc quite hard

6. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

Big question is, what kind of games we talking?
    Lot of difference between Runescape and crysis =P. lol

Your going to want 500gb-1tb hard drive definately. Games can be like 20gb each once installed. Going to want at the very least a dual core processor, 2gb ram should be fine, but if your going for a 64bit OS i recommend 4gb and above. Graphics card is open to debate. And of course it depends what your motherboard can take (PCIe, AGP).

One of my companies clients is a big video editing company. They wanted a new pc for a new employee so tasked us with building it.

I had the pleasure of buying the parts and assembling it. Quite a nerdgasm.

Windows 7 64bit, 16gb ram, core i5 overclocked to 4.4ghz, corsair water cooling, 2x 2tb drives, 2gb ddr3 graphics, dual video capture cards, blue ray rewriter and a gigabyte mobo with esata, SPDIF out and USB 3.0.

[​IMG]

Been overclocking today as i was alone in the office. 4.4ghz and stable with water cooler radiator fan on 1/3 speed.

[​IMG]

We installed crysis on it this afternoon, every setting on 100% playing through HDMI out to a 32" tv. Was quite immense.

7. Acid_Alli

Acid_Alli aka The Executioner

Once your all set-up armed you need to get out and buy some of the latest games, try habbo you'll love that. But you do need quads to run it.

8. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

[​IMG]

currently got this case, dunno what fans it's got though.

as far as motherboard goes, would i need to buy a new one or can i salvage the one from my current pc?

my main concern is the processor as getting one good enough for a gaminmg pc is fucking expensive.

9. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

Its a mixture of graphics memory, hard drive read/write speeds, ram and processor to be honest. Theres not one simple fix that makes an awesome PC :/

10. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

habbo is the business.

---------- Post added at 17:54 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

and as far as games goes, mainly looking at valve games and various FPS's

11. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

You need a whole new pc, no point in salvaging even the mobo due to new processors needing different sockets, and you'll fill up 150gb very quickly. Im out atm, ill post awesome nerdy stuff when I get home

12. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

Oh and roughly how much do you want to spend?

13. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

i look forward to it, just please, in a language i understand...I KNOW NOOOOOOOTHING!

14. johnnyj

johnnyj Member

if you're playing new games and want them to run smoothly prepare to spend about 700-2000 quid for a new pc
    if thats the case you'd be looking at i7/i5, 4+gb ddr3 ram, ati hd 5000 series or nvidia 400/500 series, 500-1000 gb hdd, the whole nine yards..
    there are some cheaper options of course but they cant keep up with new games for a long time.
    build it yourself, you'll save up to 500 quid

15. herojuana

herojuana hairy kuala

basically, get an nvidia graphics card, as what is becoming the industry standard for games (because of the multi parallel processing it offers) only runs on the new nvidia cards, and it would suck balls to have to re upgrade in a year because of that.

also dedbult if you were building a pc like that I would have had a 64gb SSD card for the OS and then a single 2tb hard drive. I just want to do that for super fast everything :D

16. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

if you know nooooooooooooooooooootthing, then youre better off going to a company that lets you customize your own PC, rather than you try and build it yourself.. or you get a friend to do it?

personally http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/ are awesome, iv used them before, http://ginger6.com/ are also good

get windows 7 64bit, and 3gb of DDR3 RAM minimum, RAMs piss easy and cheap to upgrade/replace so you dont need to worry about that too much
    processor, you could either go for i5 2500K which is uber value atm, then get the cheapest motherboard that supports the i5 2500K, motherboards dont really matter unless youre an overclocking maniac. Or if youre on a REALLY tight budget, then the i3 2100K, and compatible mobo.
    graphics card - if you want to run BF3 on highest, youre looking at spending like £180-200 on an nVidia GTX 560Ti or a 570. If youre just looking at running games like WoW or CoD or Battlefield 2, then £100 for a GTX 460 will be fine.
    You need a 500W - 600W power supply, and dont skimp on brand either, "value" PSUs create unstable systems and blow up easily, which can be expensive.
    hard drive is up to you, personally Id go for 500gb, but hard drives are pretty cheap and easy to install if you need more space.

Youre looking at a £600-700 PC if you want to run BF3 on highest, and around £500 if you want to run it on medium/low. If youre budget cant stretch.. then youre better off saving :(

17. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

looks like i'm gonna have to wait til i have a job...then save for a couple decades

18. Ampedup

Ampedup New Member

if you did it as an amd build it would work out at half the price

19. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

theres a reason for that... at least wait for their version of Intels Sandybridges before buying anything AMD. My GPU is an AMD 4850 currently, but Im upgrading soon and theres no way Id get anything but nVidia now, so much better, and their drivers arent complete wank. Also PhysX

20. Acid_Alli

Acid_Alli aka The Executioner

I wouldn't get anything apart from nVidia, but your gonna splash out the same sort of pricing for a radeon anyway.