Gains, EQing

efil4ssab

Skematix DJ
Well Ive been playing records for about 3 years now and just recently started getting booking. Honestly I've been having trouble getting my levels at the right place, and after my last gig I had a lot of people tell me to watch my levels. I know every set up is different and I also play a lot of white labels which in turn have shitty sound quality. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :clown: Thank you for your time :D

best thing to do is just get to know your records really well, so you know if the bass on one might be more quiet than you want it in the mix. just try and gague these kind of things when you're practicing, it's alright practing double drops and great mixes but if they sound whack then there ain't no point to 'em.

sorry not great advice but sound advice

i ever use that:

DECK ONE - DECK TWO
HI MID LOW HI MID LOW

START 3/4 3/4 3/4 0 0 0
MIX 50% 50% 50% 50% 50% 50%
END 1/4 1/4 1/4 3/4 3/4 3/4

SO....
when you have only one track playing at the air you have the EQ's ever over the midle, becaouse when you will join the second track mixing you can adjust the two EQ'S to the midle (slowly slowly) with the objective to have the two tracks at the same level.

Enter the new track ever with only the hight frequencis

AND TAKE SURE THAT PRESERVE THE SAME LEVEL IN HI/LOW/MID
it is like a BALANCE.
dont put the two hi eq in higt level with only one bass dont punching much. and some that

i think that i can't explain so good, but you catch it no?

i ever use that:

DECK ONE - DECK TWO
HI MID LOW HI MID LOW

START 3/4 3/4 3/4 0 0 0
MIX 50% 50% 50% 50% 50% 50%
END 1/4 1/4 1/4 3/4 3/4 3/4

SO....
when you have only one track playing at the air you have the EQ's ever over the midle, becaouse when you will join the second track mixing you can adjust the two EQ'S to the midle (slowly slowly) with the objective to have the two tracks at the same level.

Enter the new track ever with only the hight frequencis

AND TAKE SURE THAT PRESERVE THE SAME LEVEL IN HI/LOW/MID
it is like a BALANCE.
dont put the two hi eq in higt level with only one bass dont punching much. and some that

i think that i can't explain so good, but you catch it no?

lol I know exactly what your trying to say but that was confusing as fuck.

I'll draw up a diagram if you really want?

I do that i think that its sounds better because if you decrese the twice EQs the sound miss groove dont you think?

Nice diagram....just wandering tho....I usually have the bass on full (as in past the 0 mark) and switch em around like that...does this not work on big systems or does it just blow em?

safe

Thats a good point. This diagram is based on how i mix on my home setup, when playing out it all depends on the system they have. Ask a regular DJ/Promotor what the score is but you'll find that in most places you can stick the bass up to about 2-3o'clock but keeping the others bout 12. If you can, get down early, put a few records on and see what the sound is like on the floor at different levels. This obviously isnt always do-able so just ask the previous DJ and they'll be able to give a rough guideline.

What i try and do is get a mate to have a wonder round and have a listen to the sound while i'm playing so i can adjust it from there :)

I do that i think that its sounds better because if you decrese the twice EQs the sound miss groove dont you think?

I try and record my mixes a lot so i can get proper feedback of what the mix sounds like and to be honest ive spent a lot of time getting everything to blend perfectly and thats how i feel it sounds best.

If you have the eqs the same on both tracks the mix gets louder and quieter as the tunes come in and out which is turd. Treble on top of treble really pisses me off, too much tinny clashing sounds so obvious, untidy and lazy imo.

But each to their own i suppose :)

If you have the eqs the same on both tracks the mix gets louder and quieter as the tunes come in and out which is turd. Treble on top of treble really pisses me off, too much tinny clashing sounds so obvious, untidy and lazy imo.

But each to their own i suppose :)

don't really agree with that, you should EQ both tracks with the same frequencies so that your mix doesn't lose energy.

I'm not saying the technique of the above diagram isn't good, but when you always have your mid at 12 o clock and switch trebles right before the drop, you'll eventually lose energy after the drop.
Some tracks need an adjustment on the mid so the snares of both tracks are on the same level (if you know what I mean).
Some tracks need an adjustment on the treble so both tracks have the same kind of frequency.
Sorry I you guys don't understand, it's really hard to explain via the internet.
Try and play a track with the trebles at 13 o' clock, then mix in a track with the treble at 12 o' clock, you'll hear the difference.

I agree that treble on treble sounds kinda sloppy, but with the right mixing technique you won't hear a lot of difference.

bring in a tune with no bass then when it drops kill the bass and turn down the treble a bit on the other tune.

thats all i know

don't really agree with that, you should EQ both tracks with the same frequencies so that your mix doesn't lose energy.

I'm not saying the technique of the above diagram isn't good, but when you always have your mid at 12 o clock and switch trebles right before the drop, you'll eventually lose energy after the drop.
Some tracks need an adjustment on the mid so the snares of both tracks are on the same level (if you know what I mean).
Some tracks need an adjustment on the treble so both tracks have the same kind of frequency.
Sorry I you guys don't understand, it's really hard to explain via the internet.
Try and play a track with the trebles at 13 o' clock, then mix in a track with the treble at 12 o' clock, you'll hear the difference.

I agree that treble on treble sounds kinda sloppy, but with the right mixing technique you won't hear a lot of difference.

Ahh see i never said switch the treble right at the drop, its says "Gradually switch the treble". I see what your saying but obviously a diagram isnt sufficent material to fully explain.

I always try to "blend" the tracks together so there isnt any sudden changes, just a nice flow. About the mid, i use the faders as the mid knob, by bringing it down slightly is the same as having both the faders at the top and doing it with the dials. I just think its easier to use the fader for the mid personally, thats why it always stays in the middle.

Just wana add i've only been mixing 18months so i'm still learning every session on the 1s and 2s :)

yeah np man, I still am learning 2 and haven't got much of experience

I kinda missunderstood you with the diagram thing maybe, indeed blending can make a mix sound very perfect. I sometimes use this method too, but only when the intro's are long. A lot of dnb tracks have a 4 bar long intro, and is too short for a mix blend. That's why I allready have both tracks EQ'd before I mix in the second track. By slowly bringing out the bass of the track your mixing out, the amount of treble will eventually fade out aswell (about 5-10 procent that is).
Everybody's has their own technique tho'. I'm still working on it 2.
Hope the rest of the forum will contribute to this thread and share some tipe.

When I mixed on vinyl, one thing I always did before even starting to beatmatch a track in my mixes was to play the cued vinyl somewhere in the middle of the song (where the bassline has properly started) and make sure that the volume for that channel peaks just under 0dB. As a rule of thumb, you should never play anything ever on any audio equipment at over 0dB, because it WILL start to distort.

As for EQing, I usually have the cued track's bass at zero when I mix it in. When it drops, I put it at 100 and the playing track's bass at 0. Essentially I only ever have the bass for one channel turned up at a time...playing 2 basslines at once sounds real messy!

I know everyone has there own method,

But i find leaving the bass at 9 o clock on the track your mixing out will make it sound way better than at 0,

yeah use that alot, 9 o clock on the tune I'm mixing in, switch bass, then 12 o clock(depends on the amount of bass) on the tune I'm mixing in, and 10 o clock on the tune I'm mixing out...

Back
Top Bottom