Gains, EQing

lol i usually have ma bass on 5 (switch em around at the drop), ma mid on 3 and ma high on about 2 and it sounds fine....does this simply now work on a proper system? cuz it sounds fine on ma speakers. Also what do u do with trims?.....mine are in min (im using a behringer djx700), but are they meant to be higher?

Well Ive been playing records for about 3 years now and just recently started getting booking. Honestly I've been having trouble getting my levels at the right place, and after my last gig I had a lot of people tell me to watch my levels. I know every set up is different and I also play a lot of white labels which in turn have shitty sound quality. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :clown: Thank you for your time :D

EQing depends on the tracks theres some pretty good advice on EQ's been given. Try not to have them past 12 o'clock and dont have both tracks with them on full volume (on the faders) and 12 o'clock EQ setting because when you go to 1 track the total level will go down (unless you boost the gain or EQ but then you'll just get louder and louder)

As for getting total volume on the tracks the same as long as the person before you hasn't turned the gains up you should be able to use the lights on the mixer to judge what the tunes peak dB is. Just put the needle on the tune where everything is playing (after the drop not an intro or break) and see where the lights are. Like someone said earlier the best way is to know your tunes. If you can't remember write on them or get stickers (a few of mine are labeled where they need to be dropped a few bars early/late to time the drop correctly)

If thats not explained well enough tell me, I'll keep my eye on this thread to see what you think and try and explain in more detail if you need me too.

lol i usually have ma bass on 5 (switch em around at the drop), ma mid on 3 and ma high on about 2 and it sounds fine....does this simply now work on a proper system? cuz it sounds fine on ma speakers. Also what do u do with trims?.....mine are in min (im using a behringer djx700), but are they meant to be higher?

I've drawn on a picture of the mixer to explain things a bit. It's not that important if you're mixing at home but its good practice.

EM_BHR-DJX700_topedit.jpg

Setting the trims and master its best to try get it all to peak at 0. For your Eq's when 1 tune is playing it all the EQ's should be around 12 o'clock, maybe with a little boost or cut depending on how it sounds against the other stuff you're mixing and how well it's mastered.

To change the volume you're mixing at either use your amp instead of the mixer or route your speakers through the booth output. It should record out the master very cleanly if everything is peaking at 0.

Back
Top Bottom