Gain Question

DEF:STAR

Newbie here with an easy question. I'm using Serato and sometimes I'll have two tracks with completely different volume levels, typically one is just a lot lower. I try to normally keep my gain in the middle (so that the levels don't hit red but are in orange) but sometimes on the songs that are lower it seems that I need to turn the gain knob up almost all the way to get it to sound equal.

1) Is this a problem?
2) Any tips on preventing this? just heard of some software to analyze tracks and normalize but I haven't tried it. Auto gain also doesn't seem to work for me in these instances of two very different volume levels.
3) Is my normal way of setting the gain correct? (keeping the knob at 12 o clock and making sure to keep the levels in the orange/no red?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!!

every format that I have mixed on you have to adjust the gain, it's part of DJing IMO, I mix vinyl and different songs are different volumes, its the same when I have mixed on traktor scratch and same on CDJ's. Don't know if there is anything to auto-gain everything but personally I would recommend getting used to adjusting the gain

Newbie here with an easy question. I'm using Serato and sometimes I'll have two tracks with completely different volume levels, typically one is just a lot lower. I try to normally keep my gain in the middle (so that the levels don't hit red but are in orange) but sometimes on the songs that are lower it seems that I need to turn the gain knob up almost all the way to get it to sound equal.

1) Is this a problem?
2) Any tips on preventing this? just heard of some software to analyze tracks and normalize but I haven't tried it. Auto gain also doesn't seem to work for me in these instances of two very different volume levels.
3) Is my normal way of setting the gain correct? (keeping the knob at 12 o clock and making sure to keep the levels in the orange/no red?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!!

I used to find this a lot when i started out cos all my MP3s came from all over the place (friends, mix cds, rips, dnbshare etc). I standardly only use Beatport these days and everything is almost exacty the same level. But way back i used to use MP3Gain to get all my tracks to a more uniform DB. Id never use that shit now tho; just slap in a DAW, limiter on, bounce out.

I used to find this a lot when i started out cos all my MP3s came from all over the place (friends, mix cds, rips, dnbshare etc). I standardly only use Beatport these days and everything is almost exacty the same level. But way back i used to use MP3Gain to get all my tracks to a more uniform DB. Id never use that shit now tho; just slap in a DAW, limiter on, bounce out.

Yeah I noticed my Beatport stuff seems fairly uniform and the random tracks I've accumulated are the ones that are off. Is it a problem if I have to turn the gain up almost all the way on a track, just to get the levels even? In that regards am I doing things right? Also, is it ok to have each track going into the orange or is that too much do you think? Just wondering how everyone else does sets their gain/trim (aside from the uneven mp3/wav levels).

I dont you have a promlem at all, adjusting the gain is part of mixing

Load it in some DAW, or even Audicity (correct me if I'm wrong here) and up the volume with a limiter of some sorts. It's not the best solution, but it does the job.

Back
Top Bottom