FXPANSION GURU & AKAI MPD 24

KEMZ

Blatant Royal Status
VIP Junglist
Has anybody used this bit of software??

im considering getting it and the Akai MPD24, looks like an amzaing bit of kit, just wondered if anybody owns it and what they think of it.

for anyone who never heard of it, it a midi based drum sequencing software, stand alone or as a VST in your DAW.
coupled with the Akai MPD 24 drum pads it lets you 'play' the drums rather than fiddle with buttons, much like the legendary MPC drum machines ive had a play with in the past to great effect. you'll see when you click the links:)

Software:
http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=4

Hardware:
http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=MPD24

cool, thats the thing! ive looked at Battery aswell and been considering it for a while, but as you say theres a ton of drum stuff on the market like that BDF thing by fxpansion??? more acoustic drumming but looks the bollocks.

any suggestions for drum software?

im ok with the Redrum & dr Rex in reason and slicing and dicing loops in general, just looking for a swift bit of gear to open up the creative channels so to speak

Ive not used that model but I had the model before the "mpd 16" and that was a bag of wank, it was cheap fair enough but still a pile of shite. I'd listen logikz and spend the money on sumthing else :)

drum software thats... not really, no.
its kind of a waste of space, ive got 2 drummachines and i have no idea why.
i say buy a sampler. akai or emu, basically.
then get some old ass synth like the SH-101 or whatever a and some vinyl to sample breaks from. and start resampling, this is where the real sound is, in my experience.

i see how hooking up battery to the m-audio trigger or the other setup you just suggested (pretty much identical) would be alot of MPC related fun and would problably pay out in terms of inspiration and fun alone but that does wear off pretty soon

drum software thats... not really, no.
its kind of a waste of space, ive got 2 drummachines and i have no idea why.
i say buy a sampler. akai or emu, basically.
then get some old ass synth like the SH-101 or whatever a and some vinyl to sample breaks from. and start resampling, this is where the real sound is, in my experience.

i see how hooking up battery to the m-audio trigger or the other setup you just suggested (pretty much identical) would be alot of MPC related fun and would problably pay out in terms of inspiration and fun alone but that does wear off pretty soon

thats kinda what i already do, i have a vast vinyl library and ive getting drum samples from these for time, cutting them up in Nuendo then using them in the redrum in reason or just laying em down. are you refering to the quality of the sound? im with you there for sure. what i am interested is taking these original samples and 'playing' them in - im not at all into all that 'stock sample library' stuff you get with alot of the drum software about, thats what turns me off Battery - but in Guru you can use there sounds or any sound of your own creation.

i reckon you could pull some decent results out of the guru thing, with or without the MPD
get some old ass synth - mate i would if i had old synth money!! they cost a friggin arm n a leg and i dont see the point.

maybe your right, maybe best to spend the cash on some some hard/soft synths and getting busy making noises lol - im going down to an pro audio shop tomorrow and im gonna demo it out and see if its any cop, cheers logikz

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom