FX chains on snares?

Discussion in 'Production' started by mr meh, Sep 25, 2011.

1. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

So what fx chains does everyone generally use for snares?

Having trouble getting mine sounding right, i usually find a good sample then boost with eq then saturate, but it never ends up sounding like those slappy snares like you hear in most dnb tracks these days, what am i doing wrong? Does anyone use compression or any other effects? I know reverb gets used sometimes but thats not really the sound im going for..

cheers

2. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

nothing tbh, occasionlly I use a little reverb on the very top end, but really its all about getting good samples to start off with, compression i only use on the percussion group personally, i used to use it on the snare by itself, have a read thru this ...keep things simple, layers are good, and hi-passing correctly is very important, also dont forget ur Hi-Hats, a nice sharp hat hitting on the snare will brighten things up

3. Balthazaar

Balthazaar Member

First of all good samples.For beginning try layering 2 or more snares,and try to experiment with pitch separately on two snares you can get really interesting results,use compression,eq, it is all about experimenting...and some try some plugins for distortion:teeth:

4. kama

kama benkama.net

Single EQ sometimes. Maybe compression if it's too snappy.

5. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

This thread radically contradicts most of what I've learned about EQ'ing.

Like kicks; I've always thought you were supposed to EQ out the very low end and most of the mid and all the high frequencies as a general rule and tweak to fit the kick you happen to be using..

6. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

If you take off all the high end it will get lost in the mix won't it. Need a bit of 'click' left on it

7. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

depends what you mean by very low end, and also depends on the sound you are after, i've read allot about dnb producers hi-passing Kicks @ 80hz, i used to do that, although i didnt do it coz i needed to, just coz i read it, so eventually i stopped, i guess my bass/kick sounds just dont need it, i guess if u arnt using a Sidechain, which i do all the time, then it culd be more useful. i do a 40hz hi-pass, but thats on the master

as for eqing the mid/hi, as subprime said, u need click, and u probly want mid-range thump aswell....personally I like fairly natural sounding kicks