Futuristic pads/samples (Machines, shuttles, etc.)

Discussion in 'Production' started by Boooke, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Boooke

Boooke Member

Hey, I'm looking for sci-fi sounds, especially Star Wars/Mass Effect-like space shuttle sounds (A landing or passing shuttle would be preffered) - sampling from the movie/game has too much background noise, I think. Does somebody know how to maybe even make these sounds with synths? I've been trying with phased saws/squares pitched down or up with a saw LFO in a "slow" rate, but it sounds more like a tortured bird, than a shuttle - not the flying object I'm looking for.

Regards,
    Boooke

EDIT: Also, is there anyone in here, who has good tips/articles/books on similar sound design or cinematic sound design as a whole? Movies have the best basslines!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. ApeCat

ApeCat Human Dubplate

Might want to throw some white or pink noise in the mix for those swishes and swooshes.

3. T:M

T:M Dusty Techno Workout

Don't know about shuttle sound design but I know there was some very interesting techniques employed by Ben Burtt when doing some of the sound design for Star Wars. Check out this video on the sound design behind the lightsabers:

If you have Absynth theres a number of good film type soundscapes and effects that come with it. The shuttle sound you are after probably has several different layers going on. Have you tried sampling and EQing the background noise out of the sample? I'd think that would be far easier then trying to recreate it from scratch.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  4. Boooke

Boooke Member

Thanks for the video. It gave me some ideas, but I would need a good recorder, I think, to catch the highs. I do not know if EQing the noise will help. Maybe it will. Primarily the background noise is music, which could interfere with my song itself - at least it is what worries me. I have had good results with phasing noise, but it still need some time before it actually sound like the preferred sound. Not sure if I will end up with that sound, though. Sometimes I guess you just gotta let go, and accept what you got.

I have never really used presets. I should try it, yes. Considering buying Absynth, but currently I use Massive and samples.

5. Dubsta

Dubsta Well-Known Member

white noise, automated with filters.....add reverd, echo, chorus ect......easy man,.....check tutorials on youtube for ideas...layer it with some pads highly reverbed and you'll get interesting sounds

6. Boooke

Boooke Member

Another important element I forgot: Layering. Gonna try to split the sound into smaller elements to create with massive and other plug-ins.

7. marcelkennard

marcelkennard Storms comin in Annie

You could do it easily in Massive- just by using the envelopes. Just need to experiment with different sounds that will work...
    That Lightsabre video is fucking amazing!!! He created the movement by moving the microphone in time with the lightsabres!!!

8. ARTFX

ARTFX www.artfx-studios.com

Well not really but almost, he recorded himself swinging the mic around in front of the speaker. He probably recorded a lot of different "sweeps" and "slashes" and then rearranged, chopped, edited, cutted, pasted and so on to create the perfect lightsaber sound. I doubt that he was actually staring at the movie and trying to swing the mic in sync with the video.. :D