'Future'/Recent Jungle - Production tips for new break manipulation etc

Bare Grillz

'Ello guys. I'm trying to get into that 'future jungle' production style, but have no idea how they get their breaks done to such a high/sharp/'cutting through' standard. Talking about that 'Deep In The Jungle Recs' style vibe. High speed, heavy breaks but old skool style, very crisp and clean production.

I've done my own track, which I would also like some tips on how to get it sound propa and nice, as I feel like it's still not perfect!

Here's my track
and here's the latest from deep in the jungle for some context.
look forward to hearing from you guys!!! peace

i think the crispness youre referring to is simply down to EQ on your drums. Try using an analogue modeled eq to boost the tops on the drums 10k up a few db. You should also have a crack with a transient shaper on there. pull down the sustain a bit and add a little attack. that should clean them up a bit :)

incidentally, what did you use to get the reggae style blip accents in the intro? Sounds a bit guitar-ish but not quite . .

Either way I like the tune man! The vocals sound a bit lofi in comparison to the rest of the tune in places, only really noticeable to us producer types though I reckon. Did you stretch them a fair bit?

Have a look at Audio's tutorial video for Headroom:

The separation of a break into different tracks (with different processing) should be helpful to you, I think.

i think the crispness youre referring to is simply down to EQ on your drums. Try using an analogue modeled eq to boost the tops on the drums 10k up a few db. You should also have a crack with a transient shaper on there. pull down the sustain a bit and add a little attack. that should clean them up a bit :)

incidentally, what did you use to get the reggae style blip accents in the intro? Sounds a bit guitar-ish but not quite . .

Either way I like the tune man! The vocals sound a bit lofi in comparison to the rest of the tune in places, only really noticeable to us producer types though I reckon. Did you stretch them a fair bit?

Thanks dude that really helps alot. I'm still not fully 'qualified' should we say in getting breaks etc. to be as good as they can be. But will give that a go, sure that will give some extra punch.

As for the track it was just sampled from a pretty basic reggae tune man, but I've done some research into reggae and other genre's (dub techno especially) and it sounds mainly like a piano/organ on a high octave heavily reverbed with abit of effect on it. There are some good tutorials knocking around for dubtechno stabs that explain this kinda thing further (if thats what you were asking anyway)

i also ran them through a couple of bits: high pass, reverb, bit of distortion i think & maybe a slight bit of rotor cabinet to give it a little extra weirdness, but not sure, would have to look at the original file as i havent gone back to it since! And yeah timestretched a fair bit and just abit of plugins here and there to give them spacey-lofi kinda effect! thanks though!

and yeah thanks for the help my man, peace :)

Have a look at Audio's tutorial video for Headroom:

The separation of a break into different tracks (with different processing) should be helpful to you, I think.

nice one, will give that a go, Audio is such a heavyweight when it comes to punchyness in the mix so that will no doubt be extremely helpful. cheers mate!

Back
Top Bottom