Funny Things......

Mulla

Digital Future
VIP Junglist
Right this thread is for all the amusing requests/things people say to you when your playing out. Everyones had some gypsy come up to them at one point or another and asked for something absolutely ridiculous!!! Some of my recents misfortunes:

- When playing an old skool set recently, I dropped 'Black' and when the first break comes in (as a build-up to the main amen) some pleb comes running behind the decks going "This is the shit version you've got. On my SS tape, he plays a version with a much heavier beat". Just as he said this the main break dropped, I just smiled at him, while he felt a bit stupid.

- The inevitable "Have you got Shake Ur Body/Bodyrock/Super Sharp Shooter etc etc". NO I FUCKING HAVENT!!!!!!

- Some gurned up monkey asking if I had any Fabio & Grooverider tunes, cos he'd heard them on Radio 1. Admitedly he wasnt a jungalist.

- But the one that annoyed me the most was when I was playing out a few months back, and I was playing b2b with some kiddy. Anyway, he dropped either 'Feelin U' or 'Dont Wanna Know' and as I was halfway through mixing out of it, some girl asks me to rewind the Shy FX tune. I pointed to the record I was mixing, indicating to her that I was in the middle of a mix, so what does she do? Reaches over, and rewinds the tune Id started mixing!!!! I couldnt believe it!!!!!! Needless to say, I stopped the Shy tune straight away, and played the other tune from the start, much to her annoyance!

heh, one from a house party over christmas

- you got any hard trance, I just told um to fuck off :finger2:

I've had people touch the dex while I'm playin before, that really hacks me off big time.

Haha, i've been asked all sorts of funny shit while playing out.

One that springs to mind instantly is one of my fucked up mates walking up to the booth and trying to order a pint of Stella off me while I was in the mix. I'll never forget his face when he realised who he was asking. Proper funny......

..and yeah, i've had the "play this" requests, some pissed up fucker turning the mixer off while I was playing, people rewinding tunes, half a rugby team stripping down to thier underpants in the middle of my set at a house party and whipping each other with dog leads, some one smashing up the jellybean vending machine next to the booth and scatterring jelly beans all over the booth / records / mixer, people spilling beer on the decks / mixer, fuck heads falling over on the decks, fights going on infront of me while playing, people bugging for a mix / to get on the mic, people telling me I play too hard / fast, some clueless girl for my autograph thinking I was someone else...

Haha the list goes on and on and on.......

Theres probably loads more. I'll see if I can remember a few later today.........

:lol: :lol: :lol:

worse.....

-'stop playing r'n'b!' whilst playing some fairly hard d'n'b along the dylan/outbreak lines
( the same young lady followed up with)
-'yaw shit, i'm much better than ya, i play 'ard 'ouse and i play it much better than ya, if i 'ad my recawds wiv me i'd play some 'ard 'ouse right now 'cos i'm wikkid but i 'aven't got my recawds wiv me....so STOP PLAYIN' R'N'B!!'
-'have you got anything more danceable/discoey'

bloody women!!
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Caution
some one smashing up the jellybean vending machine next to the booth and scatterring jelly beans all over the booth / records / mixer, people spilling beer on the decks / mixer, fuck heads falling over on the decks, fights going on infront of me while playing, people bugging for a mix / to get on the mic, people telling me I play too hard / fast, some clueless girl for my autograph thinking I was someone else...

:lol: :lol:

yeah but these shenanigans going on around the booth can be turned to your advantage in certain situations i.e. you take the needle off the record, you nudge the dex and make 'em skip, you accidentally switch the mixer off. Rather than take any blame simply place both hands forward palms facing up in an italian style 'a why you do-ah this to me' gesture and glare at the nearest drunken scapegoat - now who does everyone believe: mr DJ ( who nobody has noticed has steadily caned his way thru 10 pints in his set ! ) or mr Pissed-Up Monkey.....:evil: :evil:

Originally posted by dj_akuma
:lol: :lol:

yeah but these shenanigans going on around the booth can be turned to your advantage in certain situations i.e. you take the needle off the record, you nudge the dex and make 'em skip, you accidentally switch the mixer off. Rather than take any blame simply place both hands forward palms facing up in an italian style 'a why you do-ah this to me' gesture and glare at the nearest drunken scapegoat - now who does everyone believe: mr DJ ( who nobody has noticed has steadily caned his way thru 10 pints in his set ! ) or mr Pissed-Up Monkey.....:evil: :evil:

lol, u know it

Remembered another one....

some geeza's doing a bit of mc'in, one nugget decides to grab the mic and run across the room. It was one of those top fitting one's so my mixer decided to fly across the room, with my dex closely following. Thank fuck I managed to grab the two dex, but the audio cables snapped off inside the sockets of the mixer. What a fuckin nightmare! Solved the probs though and the music was back on in minutes :slayer:

Shit I just remembered another one. When we were playing at Spangled a couple of years back, there was about 5 of us all going b2b2b2b2b just one tune each at about 6am. This random kiddy came up and asked us if he could join in, so we said yeah. Anyway, when it got to his turn, he spent ages playing about with the eq's and trying to pitch the tune up, and just before the tune playing ran out, he hit the stop button, span it back really fast and then just dropped the next tune - which was hard house!!! What a fuckin nobber!!! The joke is, he really looked like he was trying to mix his house tune out of a dnb tune. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by dj_akuma
o_O:mrpanic:

did you cause some pain for that?:gun: :gun: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

turned into abit of a rukus

beating.jpg

heh got another.....

the one like Hippo (Pulsar massif) decided to eject red wine from his mouth and nose onto the dex whilst he was mixin :puke:

respec

Originally posted by Mulla
............!!! The joke is, he really looked like he was trying to mix his house tune out of a dnb tune. :rolleyes:

i assume he did really try , just didnt work

as for me only thing i did was pretending i was mixing already mixed CD on CD-j's at this house party , i even got bigged up
for clean mixing , LOL

---- mix CD was live recording from an event ,with an MC---

i laughed about it for a week , (damn crakheads not aware of whats going on )

:D

Originally posted by klusta

I've had people touch the dex while I'm playin before, that really hacks me off big time.

sux major when you got it beatmached and then this person comes makes a scratching noise ,then laughs and goes away just to come back when i got everything on point again

BIG UPs to HOUSE PARTieS

-I was asked to play @ a party last year, where the theme was a "piss take Booty Bass" party. However, my friend and I, despite all wishes, decided to play old school jungle instead. He was on the decks, I was on the MIC. Having much praise from my peers(because they were never accustomed to jungle), my former Program Director from the radio station came up to me and said we were mashing it up, but a few people were complaining to him that the music was not "Booty Bass" enough(hell it wasnt anywhere near that). I told, him no problem. So when he left, we played more old school jungle. Fuck booty bass!....
Pics From That Nite

-I was playing on my radio show one nite, and somebody called in for a request. Now my University is pretty oblivious to jungle/dnb. I play strictly that, ska, and hip hop on my show. So when some guy calls in requesting I play some Paul Oakenfold, i told him these exact words. "Hell FUCKIN NO!".

Last edited:
Ol Skee
Link dosnt seem to work for me.
''Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /image1/4/43/6/33244306KKEmEt_ph.jpg on this server.''

Originally posted by Mulla

- But the one that annoyed me the most was when I was playing out a few months back, and I was playing b2b with some kiddy. Anyway, he dropped either 'Feelin U' or 'Dont Wanna Know' and as I was halfway through mixing out of it, some girl asks me to rewind the Shy FX tune. I pointed to the record I was mixing, indicating to her that I was in the middle of a mix, so what does she do? Reaches over, and rewinds the tune Id started mixing!!!! I couldnt believe it!!!!!! Needless to say, I stopped the Shy tune straight away, and played the other tune from the start, much to her annoyance!
Ohh man... one of the cardinal sins of the industry. NEVER TOUCH ANOTHER MAN's RECORDS!!!!! Good job in handling the situation though. I woulda been more of an asshole about it. I woulda got on the mic and called her out in the middle of the party.

Back
Top Bottom