Funk & Bass

So Amen Brother is not funk...

The entire fucking genre of dnb/jungle appeared around a sample from a crap funk song.

Alongside Amen Brother we have Funky Drummer... another pounding non-funk 4x4 track.

Breakbeats have been around since the beginning of music. But jungle did not sample banging on a drum by natives but FUNK.

Last edited:
I think its a lot more helpful and less argumentative to say that dnb is deeply influenced by funk, just as it is influenced by techno, hip-hop, jazz, ambient, 'world music' and rock.
But that doesnt mean I walk around saying dnb istechno, hip-hop, jazz etc. If you do that you ignore all the other influences, and discount the fact that this is a new creation out of componenets that already existed..
Its like saying '97 techstep istechno, because it repopularised the Belgian hoover sound.
Its not so black and white, stop biting people.

I think its a lot more helpful and less argumentative to say that dnb is deeply influenced by funk, just as it is influenced by techno, hip-hop, jazz, ambient, 'world music' and rock.
But that doesnt mean I walk around saying dnb istechno, hip-hop, jazz etc. If you do that you ignore all the other influences, and discount the fact that this is a new creation out of componenets that already existed..
Its like saying '97 techstep istechno, because it repopularised the Belgian hoover sound.
Its not so black and white, stop biting people.

:word:

Back
Top Bottom