Funk & Bass

moriaty

VIP Junglist
get out of this thread Dustek
:teeth:
seconded...
:teeth:

i thought the breakbeat was a brazilian invention..? but dont bite me if this is wrong..!

konfusement, mate thats a really sweet tune..did you make it?
have to say that it might need some polishing round the edges, but its a really nice groove!

:thumbup:

Dustek

Finished the PhD
VIP Junglist
So Amen Brother is not funk...

The entire fucking genre of dnb/jungle appeared around a sample from a crap funk song.

Alongside Amen Brother we have Funky Drummer... another pounding non-funk 4x4 track.

Breakbeats have been around since the beginning of music. But jungle did not sample banging on a drum by natives but FUNK.

Last edited:

mesh

VIP Junglist
I think its a lot more helpful and less argumentative to say that dnb is deeply influenced by funk, just as it is influenced by techno, hip-hop, jazz, ambient, 'world music' and rock.
But that doesnt mean I walk around saying dnb istechno, hip-hop, jazz etc. If you do that you ignore all the other influences, and discount the fact that this is a new creation out of componenets that already existed..
Its like saying '97 techstep istechno, because it repopularised the Belgian hoover sound.
Its not so black and white, stop biting people.

sparkyc10

Kentish Junglist
VIP Junglist
I think its a lot more helpful and less argumentative to say that dnb is deeply influenced by funk, just as it is influenced by techno, hip-hop, jazz, ambient, 'world music' and rock.
But that doesnt mean I walk around saying dnb istechno, hip-hop, jazz etc. If you do that you ignore all the other influences, and discount the fact that this is a new creation out of componenets that already existed..
Its like saying '97 techstep istechno, because it repopularised the Belgian hoover sound.
Its not so black and white, stop biting people.
:word: