FUNDAMENTAL QUESTION:

Discussion in 'Production' started by cactopus, May 11, 2011.

1. cactopus

cactopus Producer

what do you guys start off with when making a song? ex. bassline, drums, lead, etc. i tend to start with a bassline. i just wanted to see what everyone likes to do in order to get started with a new project

2. jimjimjim

jimjimjim oldskool

for me drums or bassline.
    ive never finished anything when i start with pads or a lead.

3. T:M

T:M Dusty Techno Workout

This. Starting with a lead usually gets me nowhere, though starting with pads usually leads me down the path to creating some cool ambient/downtempo/chillout stuff.

4. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

depends what mood i'm in. sometimes if i start with just drums and bass i end up with loop mong and the tune goes nowhere.

5. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

thanks god thats not just me

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

if i've found some sample gold... say a film or trialer i'm getting the intro sounds, melodies and vox from... then i will start there to get the 'vibe' of the tune (usually with a placeholder drum loop) and go from that (y)

6. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

haha same

---------- Post added at 13:05 ---------- Previous post was at 13:01 ----------

to be honest all my favorite tunes have been the ones that i've started off with just a sample and a break, and they never usually end up being in the finished track by the end of it.

7. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

I have sessions where I focus just on drums.
    Sometimes I spend a week trying to get the sound I desire.
    I will then create lots of different variations to keep them sounding interesting.

In the end I end up having 50+ tracks just for drums.
    After that I will use an idea I may already have or start on a bass sound which is usually just a sub bass to add a groove to the rest of the track.

I think its best if you try to get the basic elements sounding as interesting as possible then you can build around it.

A great example is Hand gestures by noisia.
    Its a relatively simple track, there isnt too much going on but they have put a lot of work into each sound which makes it a brilliant track.
    In most cases less is more.

8. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

if i dont have any ideas to start with, ie a melody or sample, then i lay down the sub bass, then percussion, just get a groove going, then mid-range bass, and build it up from there with sounds/melodies etc