Fucking annoying issue with soundcard volume suddenly going quiet

Rogue Cypher

I will just be getting into a tune and its's about to drop then the stupid bastard sound goes quiet for unexaplined reasons.

Sometimes itll happen due to loading up something else like a youtube video which seems to 'override' what I'm playing but toehr times like just now it just did it without any other program I could see.

This is really annoying cos I dunno how to reset except for restarting the computer.

Any ideas how to fix?

What soundcard do you have? What drivers do you use for it, if any? Can it be due a bass extension, if all ducks because one freq is mixed too high? Any equalizers before sound coming out? Please give specs if you want help.

I would definitely check your levels first, mine emits horrid noise if the signal clips. Also when you are producing it's probably best (in all circumstances) to have a minimal number of programs running, this includes your wireless manager if you have one. This will save you both CPU and possibly your soundcard.

Please give some more details though. Stuff like brand, whether it's an interface or a card built into your computer (if this is the case is it the stock soundcard?), reoccurring things that seem to make it go out, etc.

Also did you upgrade your system recently? Perhaps it is in need of a driver update.

This is a problem with realtek soundcards, in the start menu search box , type 'realtek' and something along the lines of 'Realtek HD Audio configuration' will pop up. Select your corresponding sound card output, go to the 'Sound Effect' section and turn of volume equalisation. I don't know if you have such a card, but it's worth the try :)

This typically happens when applying different volumes to different media. In other words, the youtube video has been set to a certain volume while your itunes is set to something completely different. Check your audio properties via windows mixer (assuming your using windows) and see what your master output and wave output settings are. If all else fails, uninstall and reinstall the drivers. ASIO4ALL (as mentioned by krimson) can assist as well.

Well, the comment about youtube overriding his signal is what sparked the ASIO4ALL comment. ASIO4ALL requires locked access to the soundcard, meaning if you are playing through an ASIO4ALL driver, nothing else can use the soundcard, and vice versa. It's almost like the focus is being stolen from ASIO4ALL by other audio devices causing the track to go silent.

Sorry forgot to chekc thread.

Im using n old sound blaster 5.1.

I used to know how to set upit up with the right driver its very particular but i forgot...

Ive been trying to download all these outdated drivers but not cracked it yet.

the default windows driver is a wdm driver and i seem to recal they are shit cos it means the card isnt actually doing hardware acceleration or something like that.

Havent had time to really try and sort it yet but gonna have another crack soon.

Another issue is ill have 4 speakers setup then it suddenly reverts back to 2. I thijnk drivers are the issue i just gotta remmerb and find the correct one.

PS Im real broke so dont tell me to buy a new card :D

Last edited:
Sorry forgot to chekc thread.

Im using n old sound blaster 5.1.

I used to know how to set upit up with the right driver its very particular but i forgot...

Ive been trying to download all these outdated drivers but not cracked it yet.

the default windows driver is a wdm driver and i seem to recal they are shit cos it means the card isnt actually doing hardware acceleration or something like that.

Havent had time to really try and sort it yet but gonna have another crack soon.

Another issue is ill have 4 speakers setup then it suddenly reverts back to 2. I thijnk drivers are the issue i just gotta remmerb and find the correct one.

PS Im real broke so dont tell me to buy a new card :D

Try krimson's suggestion with ASIO4ALL.

If you're still not successful, I'm afraid the reality of the situation is that you'll need a new card. But don't fret mate, you can get a good startup card or external audio interface off ebay for cheap.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom