Frustration with figuring out what kind of track I want

Discussion in 'Production' started by mat42291, Aug 21, 2012.

1. mat42291

mat42291 SuperNoob

Hey all, I took a huge break from production and then lately I've just been inspired to start up again. My biggest issue seems to be not knowing how I want something to sound. A lot of the time my tracks are really mellow and it's hard to break out of it.

I'm still a beginner when it comes to everything, but I'm slowly getting better. I'm just wondering if anyone else had this problem starting out. Most of the time when I'm making a track I let things flow and I'm not too controlling, I find when I start forcing it things just get ugly and then I end up just putting stuff in for the sake of it being "right" instead of what sounds good to me.

Sometimes I think I get too caught up in worrying if it sounds too simple and worrying about technical stuff. Or I start comparing my tracks to others too much.

Have you ever started a project and felt really good about it, but then wanted to try something else a few days later? It's like some days I'm digging the mellow vibe and other days I want it to be more energetic, but it's like the two ideas don't mesh well together because my mindset was different when I made it. Almost like I'm bipolar with the music.

2. djSing

djSing Ill-usions

I kinda see where you are coming from.. I often create something late at night, come back to it the next day and think it doesn't sound as good. Its quite annoying for me personally.. I'm always striving to make something better... and my mind is always in two places as to what I wanna make. I primarily make liquidy sorta tracks, something to chill to, but I want to make some harder beats and basslines - I start a project with that intention and it either ends up being forgotten or it eventually turns into a liquid piece again.

3. modern

modern Member

You just gotta keep persisting. I used to just make happy shit, before I started trying to make Dubstep - I couldn't do it. I was horrible. You would cringe listening to it. Now I'm alright at it. Just keep pushing. Youtube tutorials, etc. Change your drums

Go to loopmasters and download some free samples (make an account) and listen to some different shit; I still can't make evil music, like Jump up etc. like Noisia etc. I mean the style, not the production quality. But yeah, I suggest download some free samples, take a look and see if you can copy them - once you've got it down, switch the samples, add your own taste to it. Some people feel for different stuff, though. Music is about emotion. Whether it relaxes you, pumps you up, etc. Try and change it I guess. This is probably all just dribble, but yeah lol. I do what you do, the whole comparing thing, etc. Go listen to a heap of different music. Listen really closely, to certain aspects. Even rock music, the break downs, etc.

Also, NI massive can come up with some dirty shit, try that, lol. But like I said, this might just sound like dribble to you.

Another thing, just makes synths for awhile. Go VST searching, I find a good reverb plugin usually gets my juices flowing, because I loooooove reverb plugins, I love playing with them and getting different sounds. Find different samples and shit. Or, make your own. Don't make tunes for the sake of you making them. Make it because you love to do it, and if you feel like you're stuck - walk away for a bit, go have a smoke or a bat, come back and work more on the intro even if that could help if you're stuck on the drop etc. Sacrifice parts, etc.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  4. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

i know exactly the feeling. I hate to say it, but its simply about practicing and putting in the hours. Or experimenting. Finish a track, then listen back and find specific points to improve on, like doing a track and deciding you want sharper pads or whatever, then work on that in the track.

5. mat42291

mat42291 SuperNoob

I make liquidy tracks too. Maybe I'm just being too critical with myself. I like to let the music flow, so if that means I feel better producing liquid dnb I'm fine with that. I'll just keep working on making tracks and letting the inspiration come to me, maybe one day something will click and I'll switch it up a bit.

Thanks. I think maybe I'm confusing what I like to make with what I like to hear. Some tracks I think sound awesome, but if I try to recreate them it doesn't feel as fulfilling. Or maybe it's just staying in my safe zone. I have a tendency to over think a lot of this stuff sometimes. I guess what it boils down to is to just enjoy what I do.

Yeah I think finishing the track is probably the most important thing for me. Sometimes I get caught up in the details and then the creative flow stops. Right now I'm just trying to get used to making a rough draft so I don't lose ideas or get stuck, then go back in and tweak stuff more.

6. jimjimjim

jimjimjim oldskool

happens to me all the time m8.
    but i am trying to get into a habit of just finishing the track - even if i dont really like the track anymore.
    i fininsh it so i can move on. i am hoping that eventually fininshing will become a habit..

7. troublemakers

troublemakers Origins Unknown

I personally feel most people don't spend near enough time on a track.. They finish it then it's done but a track in all reality could be worked and tweaked for months, getting it right..

8. jimjimjim

jimjimjim oldskool

how do you know when youre finished?

9. Attire

Attire Last Winter

So true.

10. ypsilon

ypsilon New Member

The frustration i have is that i exactly know what i want my stuff to sound like but i simply dont know how to get those sounds. At this point i spend much more time watching tutorials and reading trying to learn more about the software im using. But i feel that when i follow most tutorials are like "put this knob to this, this to this etc" that i still dont know what im actually doing. I guess it just takes lots of time before i will actually understand what i have to do to get my ideas into actual sounds the way i want them to sound like

11. troublemakers

troublemakers Origins Unknown

Exactly lol... It's kind of hard to say.. You know when it's done though.. I find even when i think it's done, i can come back and listen a week later and find many things i could tweak or add...

But yea, i guess it's done when you have done everything you can personally think of... but as soon as i think ive done that, i always find there is more i could do..

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  12. mat42291

mat42291 SuperNoob

I'm a bit of a perfectionist and not in a good way. I could very easily spend the rest of my life on one track and NEVER be satisfied with it. I think there are definitely things that I could change for the better. But getting things "right" seems so subjective and I feel like it's always changing. To me trying to get things right is like striving for perfection, which usually ends in frustration. I think there's definitely a balance you have to achieve, not rushing to finish, but at the same time not spending a ridiculous amount of time.

13. equilibrium

equilibrium Member

All good

You're not alone

"What are the biggest barriers new producers face?

Dealing with frustrations when stuff doesn’t work out the way you want it to. Whether it’s not getting recognition or not being able to achieve a certian sound you want to make, it’s important to remember why you want to make music in the first place. If you make music for you’re own enjoyment then try and keep it fun. If you’re making music to get respect for it from other people then you’d best buckle up because you’re in for a whole not more frustration!

- NOISIA"

jimjimjim likes this.
  14. EvezDroppin

EvezDroppin how to change name,......

as said above, putting the hours in, moving on if something is sounding bad... listen to other types of music too, i listen to mainly drum and bass.... and it shows with some of my tracks, often very similar to other tracks you'll hear, without realising I'm doing it!

keep it fresh... get ur midi kkeyboard out start putting together some chords for ur intro and go from there, usually get a nice vibe going i find!

15. Nydus

Nydus All in the sig.

Lot of good advice here, I also think it's partly down to being able to be creatively disciplined. Do you know what I mean? Understanding what sounds will lead to a coherent record and what sounds will pull the track in the wrong direction.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  16. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

see now i go the different route; 1 cause im NEVER completely satisfied with my ideas and 2 because of my n0000bish skills i hope to learn as i go sort of situation but just trialing and erroring different styles/genre/samples/synths/loops etc but i would love to finish one song.. like completely intro drop drop breakdown the middle bit? drop drop breakdown outro :/ maybeee next year