Fruity slicer/piano roll

mikeOO1

Is there an way of taking one hit samples from the browser and chucking them into the slicer or piano roll? (As a group of hits)

I had an idea which would involve recording the sequenced beat, them importing it into edison for chopping up.

So far ive just been chopping/ re-structuring and high passing breaks and laying down the main beat in the sequencer, but im getting a bit fed up with that method, surely making the main rythem in the piano roll makes the most sense?

cheers.

Last edited:
Is there an way of taking one hit samples from the browser and chucking them into the slicer or piano roll?

add the sample to the sequencer, right click, select piano roll and your there

add the sample to the sequencer, right click, select piano roll and your there

I think i explained it wrong, what i meant was is there a way of grouping a bunch of hits... hats, kick 'n that altogether in the same piano roll?
cheers for the response.

I think i explained it wrong, what i meant was is there a way of grouping a bunch of hits... hats, kick 'n that altogether in the same piano roll?
cheers for the response.

lol i thought it was a bit of a noob question

and what your asking now (explained correctly) i have no bloody idea mate :D

You could use the fruity FPC which works like an MPC or NI Battery, you can load up samples to the pads and then they are triggered from the piano roll. The problem is that I haven't found a way to have the hits on different mixer channels so you'd have to have pre-processed drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb1WyEUYQAE

I use Battery mostly in combination with the slicer if I need breaks.

use a layer channel!!!

add the samples you want to the track....

add a "layer" from the generators menu.....

select the samples you want (by right clicking the green selection lights)......

click "set children" in the layer and then "split children".....

all samples can now accessed in the layers piano roll..... and they still can be send to their own mixer channels ;)

use a layer channel!!!

add the samples you want to the track....

add a "layer" from the generators menu.....

select the samples you want (by right clicking the green selection lights)......

click "set children" in the layer and then "split children".....

all samples can now accessed in the layers piano roll..... and they still can be send to their own mixer channels ;)

Big thanks!!:). i had a feeling it could be done with layering, never done it before tho.

cheers for the instructions! im sure this will help others too.

Slight hiccup, got my hits in the layer, went to piano roll, clicked C5 and got my selected hits playing simaltanyously instead of a single hit... what to do??

You can adjust the range from which a sample is triggered by opening the sampler channel and heading to INStrument tab. There's the keyboard in the bottom section, there if you drag with L-mouse over the empty row above the keyboard you can drag an area that the sample is played at (it makes a light orange zone). So for example if you want this certain sample triggered only at C5, drag the selection over C5. Right clicking on a key will adjust the base key it's played from, eg. pitch. Then have the second sample play from c#5 and so forth.

This way you can also easily layer hits by having them trigger on the same key, no need for different layers.

edit: Hrhm alright, the split children seems to do this automatically you can access it by clicking the little triangle next to "layering" on the layer channel.

Last edited:
Yeah you got it man!

Ive been trying to do this for ages, now my drums are all "compact" in the 'roll and all are assigned to the mixer. Happy days!:) time for some editing.

Actually, is there a way of naming the hits that are now in the piano roll? thats my last question... honestly.

Last edited:
The slicer can do that but i'm not sure about the sampler piano roll... Why dont you want to use the step sequencer for beats in the first place? You can create a layer for your kicks, snares, hihats and move them all next to each other (and leave the layer sources somewhere else) so you can see them all named clearly and neat.

The slicer can do that but i'm not sure about the sampler piano roll... Why dont you want to use the step sequencer for beats in the first place? You can create a layer for your kicks, snares, hihats and move them all next to each other (and leave the layer sources somewhere else) so you can see them all named clearly and neat.

I think its just personal preference man, easy to copy/paste then change things slightly in another pattern.

im not so familular with the layer channel yet... i always learn the hard way in life:D.

Back
Top Bottom