fruity loops mastering

dj_philf

Hi people,

I have a few tunes ready to go now but when i stick them on a cd i cant quite seemed to get them loud enough to other tunes! the beats are under compression i fiddled with the graphic EQ to boost the levels but when i mix it against a vinyl i have to crank it right up to even hear anything. Its put me on hold to make any others till i get the mix down right.

I was wondering if u could share some tips to help me to get it to a profesional standard! it would be much appriciated!

cheers.

stop using fruity loops

the sound engine that it runs on is awfull and you will struggle to get anything to stand up to a mastered release when using it

cubase , logic or ableton are what you need to get anywhere near a decent master

stop using fruity loops

the sound engine that it runs on is awfull and you will struggle to get anything to stand up to a mastered release when using it

cubase , logic or ableton are what you need to get anywhere near a decent master

I disagree that, I also produce my tracks with FL Studio and I still get some decent things out of it.
I mean, it's not the matter of software, but it's all about the producer using it.
If you know your software, and you are filled with creativity, the software package you are using doesn't matter.

Check out my tunes!

Yeah, that's what I used to do in the past, but stopt doing it because I know how to in FL Studio now.

stop using fruity loops

I disagree as well. I know people that have make and still do make amazing tunes with FL studio. Spor's used it to, Concord Dawn's made entire albums with it. If you know how to use it and mixdown properly you can make professional sounding tunes with it.

if your mixdowns are proper and you just need to get that extra push and warm out of your tracks, you should check out "PSP Vintage Warmer". It's got some nice presets for final mastering to get you set in the right direction... just have to do a bit of tweaking from there.

http://www.pspaudioware.com/

Last edited:
the thread title gave me jokes. but seriously just hit a psp vintage warmer on your master buss and if you still stuggle then its your mixes not the "mastering".

Hmmm I'm not using the Vintagewarmer on my master, sometimes on single elements of a track. I usually have a Sonnox Limiter and a FL Studio Sound Goodizer on my master. Gives you a pretty nice sound.
After that there is still a lot of mastering to do, but at least your closer to something!

stop using fruity loops

What a strange comment. Coming from a big name like you I could almost believe that. And here I thought the DAW warz were over already. 32 bit processing is high enough that nobody will hear the difference. If it's a question about volume, why don't you turn up the the amp then? Pro mastering job will almost always be phatter than a home master, that's why they are professionals.

It's true that most people that compose/arrange in FLS dont master in it but surely it's a matter of the plugins more than the platform? When it comes to fruity's plugins I can understand that comment tho.

For personal use FL mastering is more than enough. You still have to know what you are doing. If you're only about to stick a limiter in there and crank it up, leave it be. It's a careful balance of the best possible mix, master compression, EQ and stereo adjustment.

Last edited:
Ive found that Izotope ozone 3 set to loud brickwall preset, along with the standard "soundgoodizer" works pretty well too.

As for the guy who said "stop using fruity loops", seriously, research the DAW before making idiotic, unhelpful comments.. It's used by lots of top name producers out there, and as long as you know what you are doing, you dont need anything else!

Hmmm I used to have the T-Racks Brickwall Limiter with the Soundgoodizer, then I switched to the Sonnox Limiter.

Right ill see what i can do! cheers all!

kama - i love 'tomorrow'

hit me up on aim mate i play out alot n looking on starting a digital label soon!

AIM- djphilfdnb ; )

lol

im not hating on fruty loops for the sake of hating

i spent alot of time testing out different DAW's and can tell you for a fact that the sound engine in fruity is shite just the same as i would with reason

im not cussing the program but trying to give the guy some advice

all you have to do is import a sound into these programs then export it again then do a A/B comparison with the original sound and any idiot can see from looking at the waveform and hear that is will have affected not only the volume but also the frequencys and overall sound and this is without even doing anything to it in the way of processing in the program

these "all in one" audio soloutions are all well and good but they are not designed for the professional studio market but are designed for the home producer yes it is possible to create a full track in these things such as fruity or reason (i have made several tracks in reason when i have not been in the studio just using my internet pc) but like i said the audio engines are so poor in them that you will struggle to acheive any kind of decent sound from them as the things work on the basis that you know fuck all about producing so they automaticly add compression and volume adjustment to anything you do

personally i dont care what kind of platform you are making music on it makes no difference but the point is the guy asked for some advice and thats the best advice i can give him - if your serious about making music then get a decent platform to work on

its the same logic as buying a hardware synth - you could make a track on a shitty £30 casio keboard or you could make a track on a £2000 keyboard but i can tell u now which one is gonna sound better

the hardest thing about making music is getting a decent final sound and the best advice u will hear time and time again is you cant polish a turd

all this talk about using vintage warmer and isotope ozone is a case for my point as if you use good samples and a god DAW then you wont need to add any plug ins to your final master - any mastering engineer worth speaking to will tell u this

all these 3rd party mastering plug ins are not good to put on your final track as any mastering engineer will have a hard time trying to work with any masters that have these kind of things on as they do some horrendous things to sounds to achieve this "out of the box" home mastering - if you need to put these kind of things on your tracks then again you need to have a serious look at your original sounds and mixdown as u should not need ot add any kind of "mastering" to a trck that has a proper clean mix

Half of that I agree with, your right you cant polish a turd, simple as, and If your mixdown needs anything on the master bus then its not right, as it should be going to the master bus sounding exactly how you want it. What I dont agree with is your "cant" get anything good with reason/fruity etc. I hate fruity, really dont like it, but thats not to say someone cant make something decent with it, In fact I argue that a talented person with the right direction of thinking could see better results from that than some randomer on a Pro Tools HD rig with all the bells and whistles but no idea of whats going on. Dont think I'm getting at you because I'm not, but for example, most of the writing for The Prodigys "Always Outnumbered...." album was done on Reason I believe (obviously the mixdowns wernt), and I personaly would'nt approach them and say "fuckin hell mate, should have used ableton, album would have been much better".

i find people that can't get on with a program and keep moving onto another always post some drivel like that. it didn't work for you, we get it, don't come spouting shite. i know people regularly producing shit hot tunes in fruity. they took the time to learn the program.

fruity is not for quitters.

I've been into a discussion like this before witrh the roof on fire so I'm going to take it easy this time, there's a lot of sensitivity on the subject. Although I'm a cubase user now I still use FL with excellent results with the Dam Nation posse, if I see Log and Phuture-T still doing their sounds in there (amongst many others), really, its close to impossible to tell it has been composed in FL. Simply put, I've seen too much proof now of rock solid releases and artists using FL to make me believe that you can't get there with FL like you could with logic, cubase etc. Its so much more about the mixdown, samples and plugins than the DAW I think, but maybe someone should do an a/b test like vapour said and post it up here. So next timen we have this discussion again, we'll have the proof ready. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom