From Reason to Fruity with love =]

I saw producing videos from logistics, benga, chase, subfocus, byrd and they use pretty everything as main DAW from reason, cubase, logic to fruity. So this often appearing discussion seems to be really pointless. Music making is still an art and no rocket science with a way u have to do it to make a popular song. Probably learning more about handling FM Sub synth., music theory, composition and that stuff will help a lot more.

Nonetheless i tested for a few weeks now some DAW (Samplitude, Ableton, Reason, FL) parallel myself, but mainly because i sensed the workflow on single DAW to be pretty different rather than technical or sounds aspects. I work mainly on the road on a 1600x1000 15'' laptop and thats why these small not adjustable GUI of Samplitude, FL and especially Reason are really annoying. Working on Ableton is just so much more intuitive and time effective. Its fun and feels like making music/playin an instrument rather than try to handle a complex DAW looking every 5 min in the manual. And u can stepless zoom the whole GUI to the TFT u currently work on. Fumbling on these small synths knobs on Reason and Fruity really hurts, in ableton just zoom. No pop ups and strange sample browsing, just drag and drop. Also i like the operator fm snyth very much, not comparable to THOR FM-capabilities even though THOR is a really nice monster of synth. Mastering or creating sounds in Reason also sucks, no good detailed spectrum analyzer there. VST should be included, i dont want to miss tools like voxengo span or add. synths like alchemy. Big plus for Reason r lots of nice refills especially with dnb breaks and his community. But remixing a song in Reason i dont like at all. Switching constantly in the windows to hear between 2 songs hurts. In Ableton so easy.

Not giving Ableton a deeper look is big fail i think. There also pretty nice midi and audio effects for dnb, especially multiband dynamics, slicing breaks, drum processing presets which make the implemeted drumkits TR808 909 souding just :cool:. Also every drum part can be easily effected itself. In reason i read many load sample in nnxt to process it, cause redrum cant.

Samplitude (huge audio capabilities) and FL have no big leaks, but i dont like the GUI of both at all. Just cant work several hours on it and these constant popups suck.

My conclusion: Arranging and working in Ableton using some of the nice Refills and THOR by rewiring. In matter of creativity and workflow it dont can be much better from MY view. NI Massive Synth seems to be pretty popular on above mentioned producers too.

But of course price and documentation/community advice r also important criteria for new producers. Every DAW has its buyership. Imagine confronting a newb with Protools and a monster vst synth with hundred knobs. Its hard to get beginner tips here cause mostly pros are working with such tools . It good there are DAW out with simpler interfaces and users with same/no knowledge background. Many of successful producers had a musical eduction/played instrument or visited courses on music at college/university. Different background coupled with diff DAW --> flat or steep learning curve.

just my 2 cents :D

Well i wanna thank everyone for theyre input on this topic,
I know there will always be topics like this and some get there pants in a twist for repeating themselves over and over again, but hey.... thats dnb lol
I had a lil hammer with the FL Daw, imo it isnt as versitile as i thought it was! i missed the simplicity of plugging through reason, virtually wiring everything anywhere and anytime!
Have so many windows in FL was a bummer too, but the sound was crisp =] I agree with what most are saying, it isnt the DAW, but the samples and mixdown you do
Thanks to all for your feedback =]

Back
Top Bottom