From Logic to StudioOne

lostnthesound

Burns Easily in the Sun
VIP Junglist
Hey Forum,

It seems the patience of msmith222 and myself is quickly running out with regards to waiting for Logic 9.5, X, or whatever the hell they're going to call it.

We've begun discussing migrating to another DAW. We like Ableton quite a bit, however, we think StudioOne may be more in tune (no pun intended) with our workflow.

That said, any StudioOne users out there or any former Logic users who made the leap to StudioOne? What are your pros/cons?

All feedback and opinions are very much appreciated.

Cheers.

moved from logic to ableton...tried studio 1 and reaper but they werent for me. i do miss the logic synths and the mixer though. i tried rewire but it's such a mission and would rather keep to 1 daw.

why are u guys switching?

Thanx for the feedback Eternaloptimist.

We're not concrete on switching quite yet, but are talking more and more about it. The thing is, we absolutely LOVE Logic and it's no secret that the next iteration of Logic is/has been in development. The problem is that while us dedicated cult Logic users are waiting around for Logic X, there are many other DAWs that are being constantly enhanced, updated and packed with new features (ex. StudioOne, FL, Ableton) It begins to make us question whether or not we're being left behind or missing out on something that could significantly aid our workflow and/or creativity.

The only spec of hope we've received from Apple over the past couple years is the promise of many "Pro Apps" to coincide with the release of the new Mac Pro, in addition to Xander Soren's comments that "...the team is still in place and hard at work on the next version of Logic Pro."

Studio One seems like the best choice at the moment in our opinion. The implementation of Melodyne is a nice plus in addition to the other goodies under the hood.

My opinion on this subject may not be the answer you are looking for, but hey, I'll throw it out there anyway.

I love Ableton and would recommend it to anyone looking to switch DAW's. But I honestly think you may be looking to switch for completely the wrong reasons. Who cares if they haven't released an update or new version for a while? If it aint broke don't fix it n all that jazz huh?! I've never tried Logic myself, but I know it's up there as one of the best. You've got to ask yourself is it worth spending the painstaking hours in learning the in's and out's of a new DAW, when those hours could be used fine tuning your craft, in a DAW you already know how to use thoroughly?

At the end of the day, it's your decision to make, I switched from FL to Ableton a few years back, and never looked back, but my switch was made for workflow reasons, not because of a lack of updates.

I think if the switch will change your way of thinking and producing then it may be worthwhile, but if you are solely basing the thoughts on updates / versions released, then I'd suggest sticking with what you know.

My opinion on this subject may not be the answer you are looking for, but hey, I'll throw it out there anyway.

I think if the switch will change your way of thinking and producing then it may be worthwhile, but if you are solely basing the thoughts on updates / versions released, then I'd suggest sticking with what you know.

This. You're spot on Mr. fletch and I think this is one of the key points I neglected to include earlier. We have gotten to the point where we feel "stuck" with our Logic way of thinking. After messing about with the free demo of Studio One we felt genuinely excited/inspired to dive in because of the fresh perspective and the fact the Studio One offers several means to do things quickly that would've taken much more time in Logic. Mundane tasks such as drawing automation for example, can be done in StudioOne quickly due to the inclusion premade shapes for drawing. Drawing said shapes in Logic is quite cumbersome and quickly dissolves the motivation and takes away from the overall creative process.

It's the "little" things like this that got us excited and sparked our ideas about the many opportunities Studio One could offer us in terms of progressing the creative process. The added bonus is the layout/GUI of DAWs are familiar, and Studio One even offers keyboard shortcut templates that import Logic key commands, reducing the overall learning curve.

As always a fletch, we greatly appreciate your thoughts and opinions, your perspective is greatly appreciated.

Simply put Logic feels dated compared to most other DAWs out there now.

Since Logic 9 has been released every other DAW seems to have had at least 2 major updates, if not more. Pro Tools are now on 11 and around Logic 9 time they were just bringing out 8, from memory. Reason has progressed, Ableton too, and Cubase.

Plus these other emerging DAWs, Studio One, Reaper, have caught up in terms with the big players. I'm finding it hard not to switch to something and give it a go properly. I tried Ableton 9 and found it exciting but couldn't really get my head into it. But it definitely opened my eyes.

There's so many things Logic could do better, but you just have to put up with it - which shouldn't be the way when it comes down to it.

Just a bit like that typical Apple attitude of "oh, people will stick with us, just because they will." Which isn't right IMO, but it's just the way it is. There is no real confirmation that another Logic is coming any time soon. They may be "working on it" but really that means nothing without a date or something to show for it. We could still be talking about it this time next year for all we know.

The next version really need to be an impressive step up if it's going to compete with the big guns.

I'd say if you've tried another DAW and it's excited you, then just go for it. Production should be exciting and not a chore, it shouldn't fill you with dread every time you fire it up, you should be inspired and want to create things. Not to say that I feel that when operating Logic, but I think there's so much more out there I could be exploring in terms of functionality.

It's all food for thought man. It's one of those things that you know how to use Logic and you know it's strengths. So you can always pick and choose from DAWs and use the best of both words.

Simply put Logic feels dated compared to most other DAWs out there now.

Since Logic 9 has been released every other DAW seems to have had at least 2 major updates, if not more. Pro Tools are now on 11 and around Logic 9 time they were just bringing out 8, from memory. Reason has progressed, Ableton too, and Cubase.

Plus these other emerging DAWs, Studio One, Reaper, have caught up in terms with the big players. I'm finding it hard not to switch to something and give it a go properly. I tried Ableton 9 and found it exciting but couldn't really get my head into it. But it definitely opened my eyes.

There's so many things Logic could do better, but you just have to put up with it - which shouldn't be the way when it comes down to it.

Just a bit like that typical Apple attitude of "oh, people will stick with us, just because they will." Which isn't right IMO, but it's just the way it is. There is no real confirmation that another Logic is coming any time soon. They may be "working on it" but really that means nothing without a date or something to show for it. We could still be talking about it this time next year for all we know.

The next version really need to be an impressive step up if it's going to compete with the big guns.

I'd say if you've tried another DAW and it's excited you, then just go for it. Production should be exciting and not a chore, it shouldn't fill you with dread every time you fire it up, you should be inspired and want to create things. Not to say that I feel that when operating Logic, but I think there's so much more out there I could be exploring in terms of functionality.

It's all food for thought man. It's one of those things that you know how to use Logic and you know it's strengths. So you can always pick and choose from DAWs and use the best of both words.

^ Nail on the head! :) I can't begin to tell you the countless times I wished to have a global preference menu that would affect all my ScreenSets...or not feeling the need to gouge my eyes out when trying to create a simple vertical line in the automation lane without having my nodes dancing about like a drunken sorority chic (or Elaine Benice).

Of course since I constantly fall victim to Murphy's law, I can expect Logic X to drop the moment Studio One is installed lol.

That said, we're currently waiting for our new software and free FaderPort kits. We plan on finishing our current WIPs in Logic while beginning our new venture into Studio One.

Much respect to all for your POVs and feedback.

I moved from Logic to Studio One mate, best thing I ever did.

S1 is faster, more reliable, don't get any of those memory overflow errors and its probably crashed on me twice in the whole 9 months ive been using it, really good bit of software.

Don't really know anything about studio one but i know switching daws sounds good on paper but if ultimately it does the same thing, you'll end up opening logic all the time. I know lots of people that forced themselves to make the move from Reason for obvious reasons.

If you can stick with the demo for a few months and really get on with it then go for it. Just scratching the surface isn't really enough to make the switch IMO.

Good luck with whatever you do. And yeh logics automation is such a prick.. While on that topic, you do know out the escape button shortcuts to make curves real easy dont ya?

Goddammit. As I previously said in one of my previous posts in this thread, Murphy's law mocks my life on a daily basis...this is a perfect example and you're all witnesses lol.

Last edited:
Don't really know anything about studio one but i know switching daws sounds good on paper but if ultimately it does the same thing, you'll end up opening logic all the time. I know lots of people that forced themselves to make the move from Reason for obvious reasons.

If you can stick with the demo for a few months and really get on with it then go for it. Just scratching the surface isn't really enough to make the switch IMO.

Good luck with whatever you do. And yeh logics automation is such a prick.. While on that topic, you do know out the escape button shortcuts to make curves real easy dont ya?

Most definitely, the esc. shortcuts are my bread and butter for both automation (especially esc + w for curves) and region editing (esc + 5 or 6 for cutting/gluing, respectively).

Most definitely, the esc. shortcuts are my bread and butter for both automation (especially esc + w for curves) and region editing (esc + 5 or 6 for cutting/gluing, respectively).

Yeah it really speeds up your workflow! its the changing nodes that really fucks me off lol!

Anyways, enough bitching about 9, we'll be bitchin about X soon haha!

the bitching i've seen on facebook is hilarious!

"ewww it looks like garageband haha"
"the meters are too thin, i'm going back to logic 9"

i swear one could make a tumblr of the posts.

Even with X now out, I think this still sums up our reason for switching the best.

The other concern I have is that even though X is a great update, I don't think Apple will continue aggressively update Logic for much longer. It took almost two years for this update...they simply have too much other stuff to deal with. I think the DAWs of the future will largely be from audio-specific manufacturers.

Yeah it really speeds up your workflow! its the changing nodes that really fucks me off lol!

Anyways, enough bitching about 9, we'll be bitchin about X soon haha!

Well said sir!

Sidenote: msmith222 and I are LOVING Studio One. It's the little things that we're really keen on. For example: being able to audition a MIDI file with an instrument in your project and being able to audition 32-bit audio files. These are just the tips of the iceburg...the integration of Melodyne (which we upgraded to Editor) is outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom