Friction wins award for making the worst tune of 2012 (WARNING: BROSTEP)

its funny if you read this thread it goes from completely ludicrous statements through to actual common sense on the last page..

as people realise how stupid they look for coming out with lines like "he doesn't want to make this" amongst others lol

i thought people that listen to this kinda stuff dont buy the tunes, they just rip them off youtube.....dont see how he's selling out or doing it for the cash etc

I couldn't care less.
He can do what he wants, hes Friction!

If he enjoys making that sort of stuff let him do it. Some people may say that hes selling out but creating a track just to please people IMO is selling. Although this track will probably please a lot of people who aren't really into D&B.
I seriously doubt it is gunna change Shoguns direction release wise.
I doubt any of the shogun crew will start making this sort of music....apart from the prototypes obviously.

I wouldn't be too worried if I was friction.. Skrillex will easily top him with his next track. Maybe Flux Pavillion.

as someone else pointed out, once an artist starts making cheese, they generally don't come back...

remember when fresh released 'louder'...supposedly a one off...right? Money gets to artists heads, and that's not just in dnb it's EVERY genre. They stop caring about making tunes for the love of making tunes.

But what i wanna know is why the most popular of music is always the least passionate.

as someone else pointed out, once an artist starts making cheese, they generally don't come back...

remember when fresh released 'louder'...supposedly a one off...right? Money gets to artists heads, and that's not just in dnb it's EVERY genre. They stop caring about making tunes for the love of making tunes.

But what i wanna know is why the most popular of music is always the least passionate.

:word:

bit of a bold statement: people who listen to this style don't actually buy their tunes!?

at the end of the day shogun is a company, so standard business and marketing ethics still apply.. banging out a tune like this opens up a whole new channel of support, which in time will generate more bookings/sales/cash to re-invest into the label, to continue signing artists and knocking out tunes that DO represent the original sound..

bit of a bold statement: people who listen to this style don't actually buy their tunes!?

at the end of the day shogun is a company, so standard business and marketing ethics still apply.. banging out a tune like this opens up a whole new channel of support, which in time will generate more bookings/sales/cash to re-invest into the label, to continue signing artists and knocking out tunes that DO represent the original sound..

Well, im all for artists releasing whatever they want and all that jazz. But if shogun nights start filling up with all the typical fans of this tracks genre... I shudder to think. Shogun has the best crowd of any night ive been to, would be such a shame to attract cunts.

Don't see this as selling out.. Surely for it to be classed as 'selling out' it would need to grab more sales than something that represented the 'shogun sound.' I personally think if he did release something darker it would sell more making the whole selling out argument invalid.

bit of a disappointing release but...

I have faith in Shogun & SGN LTD.
I have so many of the good releases from the back catalogue one release doesn't mean disaster, it just means people who don't like it won't buy, someone else will, just won't be me.

Looking forward to what Icicle, Spectrasoul, Perez & Rockwell will come up with this year, thats what makes Shogun tick.

Song is shit yes, but as he says he likes producing different styles so fair play to him, leave him to it.

Also, even if he is just cashing in by making some shit disposable music does he not deserve to? I mean artists like Netsky have come from nowhere and are probably raking in more than Friction at the moment because they makes cheesey gimicky music. Yet Friction has been pushing this genre for years, and probably earns less.

I know the reason most people get into music isnt for money but I would rather Friction was getting the money for shit tunes than the likes of Netsky or (insert new hospital artists name here).

very good point mate, was bit of a rash judgement, just judging from what ive seen and heard

and concerning netsky, hes taking half a year off from shows to work on a new album, be interesting to see what his output is when he isnt distracted by gigs etc. think people are a bit harsh on him here.

people are quick to slate to hospital but i dont see people dissing ram artists like delta heavy and loadstar who in my opinion play some poor sets out, and shogun artists like the prototypes, every label seems to have its diversity, whats wrong with that? sorry for going off topic

Last edited:
I honestly don't think anyone in Drum & Bass is seriously raking money... People like Chase & Status who went Gold (or how ever you call that) on record sales Pendulum and Nero are probably exceptions. I'm not sure but I don't think any Hospital album got any such awards for a high number of sold units. I remember reading somewhere that their best selling CD was one of the first Hospital mixes that went at 30 000 copies, can't find this page anymore though... Think it was somewhere on Hospital's facebook.

Don't see this as selling out.. Surely for it to be classed as 'selling out' it would need to grab more sales than something that represented the 'shogun sound.' I personally think if he did release something darker it would sell more making the whole selling out argument invalid.

I agree... You can't win really

Yeah I'm fairly certain they don't earn much through music sales, but at several thousand £££ per DJ set on maybe 2 - 3 nights per week, I'm fairly certain they're not strapped for cash.

as long as every other artist on his label continues to put out good stuff friction can do what he wants in the studio - guess he wants a commercial face to it. it is rubbish imo.

also i pray to god he doesn't start wheeling this out in his sets. mix with sweet shop and mr happy :shudders

he's gonna do this whether you like it or not... unless you see him at Cable for a Shogun Audio night, then he'll actually give a fuck and play a deep selection...

Back
Top Bottom