Frequency Splitting on Cubase 5

Can someone please give me an idiots guide on how to do this.

All the searches brings up Ableton or Logic techniques. Please help :)

i have cubase 6, but i think its the same. just one possibilty... there may be others...

- create 3 new group channels
- route the track which you would like to split via the send effects to this 3 groups (don't forget to raise the send-volume)
- low-, mid- and high pass this 3 groups channels
- disable the output routing (standard = stereo out) of your channel which you splittet right now

hope that's clear enough...

Sorry to intrude,

I am a Cubase 4 user and dieiscast's explanation seems like it would work.

I get what Freq Splitting is but what is the point? What can one acheive from doing it?

Cheers :)

Sorry to intrude,

I am a Cubase 4 user and dieiscast's explanation seems like it would work.

I get what Freq Splitting is but what is the point? What can one acheive from doing it?

Cheers :)

the main reason is You can add different fx to different frequency bands. for example if you have a bass that has not been split and you apply some hard distortion, chorus and verb it is applied to the whole bass low mids and highs. But if you split the bass and only apply chorus and verb and disortion to the mids and highs you can keep the sub channel clean.

To piggy back on yogi23's answer, you can also add a bit of phase/flange to add a bit of dimension to the "hi band" frequencies. Once youve done your splitting and processing, send those three bands to a single bus and a compressor to tighten them up.

Last edited:
Oh I get it, its almost like having a Hat, Snare and a Kick and applying different effects and stuff to each,

Cheers guys! :D

i have cubase 6, but i think its the same. just one possibilty... there may be others...

- create 3 new group channels
- route the track which you would like to split via the send effects to this 3 groups (don't forget to raise the send-volume)
- low-, mid- and high pass this 3 groups channels
- disable the output routing (standard = stereo out) of your channel which you splittet right now

hope that's clear enough...

i always make separate sub bass so will i only need to look at the mid and tops?

this is the bit i dont understand. on my midi channel for my synth i can only send to 1 group channel

The way I understood it mate was create your instrument track and do what you do with it (record stuff, effects, etc.)

Then duplicate the track twice and probably give them a suitable name eg. Synth High, Synth Mid & Synth Lows.

Do the Lowpassing etc to each appropriate track.

Then just make a group and send all three parts of the synth to the group track.

Thats how I understood it, hope I am right and cleared it up for you!

i always make separate sub bass so will i only need to look at the mid and tops?

this is the bit i dont understand. on my midi channel for my synth i can only send to 1 group channel

you have to use the send effects on your instrument channel

freq_splitting.jpg

i like it that way because you don't have to do copies of a channel.

Back
Top Bottom