Frequency ranges for drums in cubase

Dubsta

VIP Junglist
Hi guys.....Can someone link me to a frequency range guide for drums in Reason and also some tips on the best Eq's / Reverbs and general effects to use on drums in Cubase.

Ive just made the switch from Reason to Cubase so finding my feet at the moment so sorry if this question as been asked before.

Thanks in advance

What do you mean by "frequency range guide for drums in Reason"? The main frequencies of the drum parts shouldn't be different in Reason; the fundamental frequency depends on the sample but the frequency ranges are more or less the same.

Maybe this helps:
http://renegademinds.com/Portals/0/GDT/Remove-Instruments/Interactive-Frequency-Chart.png

In Cubase, every channel has it's own 4-band-EQ and of course there are standard plugins like the GEQ-30, which has 30 bands. There are a lot of good free plugins out there that you might consider now. I've never used reason, so I don't know if it actually supports VST plugins. But if it doesn't, then a whole new world opens up to you with Cubase. ;)

So, I recommend to start with the Cubase stock plugins and if you're missing something, then you can try some of the free plugins that are out there. Here is a list to start with:
http://bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/

The Roomworks Reverb in Cubase is quite nice and so is the stock compressor, since it has a sidechain function. I tend to use it a lot. :)

I usually just HP my kicks at 65hz, LP it at 18k, snare HP at 100, LP at 18k again
then my hats are usually HP'd at 500 depending on the sample to get rid of that low end noise they sometimes have and then just LP'd again at 18k.

just depends per sample though, using fabfilter pro-q for all my EQ'ing :), congrats on moving to Cubase though, you won't regret it!

There's no hard and fast guide or rule when it comes to frequencies I'm afraid.

Try concentrating on 'tuning instruments' using EQ.

For example;

Snare drums:
1) Load a frequency analyser onto the track to assess the frequencies
2) You'll want to roll off any unwanted low rumble but without affecting the sound of the snare
-- Do this by solo'ing the track and loop a few snare hits, put a low cut with a steep Q (24bit), move the frequency up from 0hz listening to the sound of the snare, when you hear it clearing up then you're getting close, take it to the point where it adversely affects the sound (so makes it sound less good) and then lower it again to just under the point where it changed the audio, lower the Q (6bit). This will give a natural sounding low cut to the snare.
3) Look at where the sample is hitting the most (higher peaks in frequency EXAMPLE ONLY 170hz & 6000hz), these frequencies are where it's going to cut through the rest of the mix so they're important to bring out those elements
4) Using subtractive EQ'ing means to lower other frequencies other than the ones you want to affect, for example lowering the mids will bring out the lows & highs but without increasing the overall RMS of the sample and introducing unwanted noise from a positive EQ boost
5) Roll off any high frequencies in the same manner

I've take a print screen of an example here:
snareeq.jpg

You'll notice there's also a little positive EQ boost but not much

I hope this helps

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom