Frequency on mp3's

illv

the winnipeg styler!
Okay, noone was able to answer this for me, but with final scratch, what is the true reason why I would want to run 320KBPS live VS 192KBPS mp3's? is there anyway I can still get away with 192KBPS tunes?

illv//

the mp3 format achieves it's compression largely through sacrificing audio data (typically high frequencies). The higher bitrate an mp3 is, the less data is lost and the better the soundquality.... low bitrate mp3's sacrifice alot more audio data so the high frequencies will often become tainted or lost altogether.

But!, the difference between 320kbps and 192kbps is pretty insignificant in my opinion... the average ear will not be able to tell the difference. I'd say 160kbps is also fine, but 128 is where audio degradation becomes apparent.

freeagent said:
I think you can hear the difference on a club system when you play 192/128Kbps over 320Kbps, PERSONALLY IMO OF COURSE (y):D

i played 192 on a club system and it sounded shockin! then i went back to cds? (aren't they somethin stupid like 1024?) and it sounded sick as always ;p so u can never beeat good quality :devilslay

richard said:
i played 192 on a club system and it sounded shockin! then i went back to cds? (aren't they somethin stupid like 1024?) and it sounded sick as always ;p so u can never beeat good quality :devilslay
tottaly agree . using MP3`s live can kill a tune Quality should be priority. :gpeace:

if i'm not mistaken, cd's (and wav. files) are 1411kbps...also, it depends on the mp3 itself---if it was encoded from a shoddy source to begin with, the mp3 encoding isn't gonna help it any...i wish flac or shorten or even ogg vorbis would be supported by more hardware and stuff...

richard said:

can happen, it all depends on the mp3 encoder and it's settings..... using a high quality codec is essential (i'd reccomend Fraunhoffer codec or LAME). Mp3 encoders are fuckin complex things and if the settings arent spot on the mp3 will sound shit.... for example you could encode at 320kbps but still have a low pass filter on at 11khz (which is common for low bitrates).... = shit sounding 320kbps mp3.

Another common mistake is that encoding at high quality somehow restores the sound quality of the original material.. ie encoding at 64kbps..... decoding to wav... then re-encoding at 320kbps...... you will see NO improvement whatsoever, once the mp3 encoder has sacrificed frequencies to compress... they're gone forever (so always keep a wav backup of your tunes if you're producing)

Also about CD's... yes 1411Kbps, wave files can vary..... 16bit 44.1khz wave files will be 1411kbps aswell.... but 24/32 bit, 96/192KHz wav files are obviousley going to have huuuuge bitrates :clown:

GEEK GEEK GEEK GEEK :jerkit: :cry:

Back
Top Bottom