frequency cutting in places u wouldnt even think of!!!

mistasfx

MISTA SFX
VIP Junglist
Was having a chat with a producer who's doing quite well and was quite shocked at his advice on where to cut freq's.

So i tried and they work decent........

Kicks - no real cutting at all unless essential
Sub - 200hz
main bass - 100/200hz whatever sounds good
snare - 190/200hz
tops - 1/2k

I usually follow...

Kicks - cut at 60, boost at 90 - 120hz
snares - cut at 150 boost upto 240
sub - cut at 60
main bass - eq to taste but have spikes for kick, snare etc
tops - from 250hz

I pitch my kicks at A so around 110 Hz I then remove most of the low end below 55 Hz as it tends to be mud and leave room for the bass.
I've seen people just add at 200 Hz even though their snare is at 220 Hz which is just silly

I pitch my kicks at A so around 110 Hz I then remove most of the low end below 55 Hz as it tends to be mud and leave room for the bass.
I've seen people just add at 200 Hz even though their snare is at 220 Hz which is just silly

Snare an kick doesn't hit at the same time... I've noticed in some tunes they actually have a similar freq range.

layer 3 kicks and 3 snares, on my kicks I cut it to around 60Hz on the bassy kick and to around 200Hz on the other two kicks. Then on the snares I cut the bass snare to around 80-100Hz and the other two normally cut to about around the 200Hz area as well :)

As a rule you will only "think" of any problem areas based on the choice of sound sources and whether you monitoring
and room acoustics present the problems to you. It compounds the highlights the importance of excellent monitoring, your room and speakers influence every decision you make for better or worse.

cheers

SafeandSound Mastering
Dance music mastering

Get the levels right before you eq anything and your mix will thank you for it.

I learnt this from a Russian named Boris whose response to "do you know the drum part for The Passenger?" was "No. But I will play."

Also, his mixdowns sounded beautiful too.

"u wouldnt even think of"?

imo thats more or less standard.. and i eq first and then set the levels. doesnt make sense the other way round imo because you really change the perception of sounds via eqing which makes the levels you did before just useless..

Back
Top Bottom