French white flag

Hey guys,

was wondering where does the french white flag thing comes from.
For some years, french are taunted around the interwebz about being surrendering fags and i really don't get it.
Does it comes from the Iraq war?

Jwood27

VICTIM
VIP Junglist
It mainly stems from the second world war i think. It was claimed that the french surrendered to the germans so that the "beautiful city of Paris would be spared".
Then a series of defeats in subsequent wars (in indo-china and vietnam etc) lead to this perception.

plus the fact that they came up defeated in a series of wars prior to this.
ie napoleonic wars

i think anyway, its a relatively general thing though

I think Napoléon had a pretty nice empire back in the beginning of 19th century, no ?

Now about the white flag, it's way older than the Irak War II. About the Irak war II, it's just Jacques Chirac (french president at the time) who didn't want to go to war, cause he wasn't cool with the idea of "helping american get oil & stuf"

Last edited:

Blurr

Wasted Selection
VIP Junglist
the old flag before the revolution was white with fleur de lis all over it, was added to the blue and red of the paris revolutionaries

---------- Post added at 09:20 ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 ----------

plus the fact that they came up defeated in a series of wars prior to this.
ie napoleonic wars
i think u need to read up on those wars, the french pretty much ripped through europe and north africa for 20 odd years, napolean was a great tactician but everyone has their watergate

logikz

I Am Not The King
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
get francois in here. hes a french duke. he lays around in a hammock all day eating soft cheese. he'll let you all know.

logikz

I Am Not The King
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
whilst on the subject, check the background story to why showing two fingers to someone is offensive. another one of those french-english hot topics.

ThePapa

Suffragette City..
VIP Junglist
Agincourt was more of a civil war than anything else...they're our brothers really.

Salute Busman!

---------- Post added at 10:04 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

Went to a wedding in Normandie last summer...they looked well English! The women had bingo wings and everything!

Jwood27

VICTIM
VIP Junglist

---------- Post added at 09:20 ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 ----------

i think u need to read up on those wars, the french pretty much ripped through europe and north africa for 20 odd years, napolean was a great tactician but everyone has their watergate
No i'm fully aware of how successful napoleon was, what i'm trying to get at is the idea that in this case the french did eventually lose. and have to cede land that theyd conquered back. Maybe that was a bad example of the surrendering thing, but people when thinking of the french will go, oh agincourt, crecy, waterloo, ww2 etc (ww1 is often conveniently forgotten were the french didn't surrender at all)

About the two finger thing that was supposedly an archers thing during the 100 years war (or around that period). Any archers the french captured they apparently chopped the two fingers off that were used for drawing. thus when they encountered each other british archers supposedly gave them the 'V' to indicate that they still had both fingers there.
etc

CRoOK

Audio Artillery
VIP Junglist
No i'm fully aware of how successful napoleon was, what i'm trying to get at is the idea that in this case the french did eventually lose. and have to cede land that theyd conquered back. Maybe that was a bad example of the surrendering thing, but people when thinking of the french will go, oh agincourt, crecy, waterloo, ww2 etc (ww1 is often conveniently forgotten were the french didn't surrender at all)

About the two finger thing that was supposedly an archers thing during the 100 years war (or around that period). Any archers the french captured they apparently chopped the two fingers off that were used for drawing. thus when they encountered each other british archers supposedly gave them the 'V' to indicate that they still had both fingers there.
etc
dont forget the mass mutinees though. the point is that the french have never won a battle that mattered