Free VST downloads, Disc not recognized?

IMPULSVDNB

Can anyone shed some light or relate to the following issue?

Ive been searching for free VST plugins, Once downloading the .DMG file, i try and click on it and it comes up with ' The following disk images Couldnt be recognized'.

Its happened with a few different plugins recently. Is there any way to fix this? or should i just try to download the file again?
Ive tried both the AU file and the VST of a couple of different ones but the same error comes up each time?

Cheers

IMPULSVDNB.

the DMG file needs to be burnt to a CD/DVD, or mounted by a virtual CD/DVD program - DMG is a Mac format, although these days most windows programs can handle them just fine

AU and VST files are completely different - not sure you explained the problem quite right? can you try again, what exactly was the file you downloaded (full file name), was it a DMG, dll, AU or ZIP, or?

Usually VST's etc are downloaded in ZIP files, in which case you just unzip/uncompress and move the files to the right location (eg program files/stienberg/vst plugins), or you install the program if it comes with an installation program

if it came as a DMG file, then you need to either mount the file, or burn it to CD (burn it as an Image, not a standard data CD...you should see the option in your CD burning software)

Can anyone shed some light or relate to the following issue?

Ive been searching for free VST plugins, Once downloading the .DMG file, i try and click on it and it comes up with ' The following disk images Couldnt be recognized'.

Its happened with a few different plugins recently. Is there any way to fix this? or should i just try to download the file again?
Ive tried both the AU file and the VST of a couple of different ones but the same error comes up each time?

Cheers

IMPULSVDNB.
DMG's cant be read by default on windows, only OSX. All windows downloads should come in ZIP/RAR/whatever, and if the vst has been ported to AU then the AU should come with it, or at least have a separate file download. Make sure you always use the windows download.

Unless youre using OSX, then you might need to contact the site, or find a more recent version

The full file name is VoxengoElephent_40_mac_VST_VST3_Setup.dmg
Theres also another one i tried from the same site named :VoxengoSoniformer_341_Mac_AU_setup.dmg
Both come up with the same error.
But they are DMG files right? so i need to "mount" them, or burn to a disk as an image then load onto my computer?

I must of been mistakened from posts i'de read thinking that both files were fairly similar, Just most plugins these days for mac were downloadable as au files? but both can still be used.
http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Number=994469 (<---- i read this.)

Theyre dmg files, both types of disk image files, and both exactly the same.
The full file name is VoxengoElephent_40_mac_VST_VST3_Setup.dmg
Theres also another one i tried from the same site named :VoxengoSoniformer_341_Mac_AU_setup.dmg
Both come up with the same error.
But they are DMG files right? so i need to "mount" them, or burn to a disk as an image then load onto my computer?

I must of been mistakened from posts i'de read thinking that both files were fairly similar, Just most plugins these days for mac were downloadable as au files? but both can still be used.
http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php?Number=994469 (<---- i read this.)
Mac AU files shown as .component, which is included in the DMG file (which acts like a ZIP/ISO). The DMG either includes the .component file which is placed in the Plugins>Components folder, or includes an installer that does it for you. There are no such things as .au files.

To install a plgun from a DMG file, all you need to do is:
- open the DMG and run the included installer, or
- open the DMG and insert the included .component file into the Plugins>Components folder
Then, as the install instruction would say, reload your DAW so it can scan the new plugin.

Here's Voxengo's install guide http://www.voxengo.com/setupmethod/span/

The important thing to remember is DMG's are a Disk image file, and acts like a 'virtual usb' for macs. No burning or physical mounting required. Everything happens automatically when you open it.

If the DMG isnt working properly, contact voxengo for assistance

Back
Top Bottom