Free party next weekend - equipment issues.

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Rusket, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Rusket

Rusket Mix an blend

A group of us are putting on a free party next saturday and we have had loads of people just assuming they are doing sets. The problem is that there are like 10 organisers and some of them have told their mates they can play a set or whatever.

Obviously that is completely fine, but a few of these mix on "controllers". The majority of DJs that we have use CDs and there are gonna be 3 CDJs running through a 4 channel mixer. Someone came up with the idea of having a "controller" channel on the 4th channel of the mixer. I just hate having to accommodate for people that can't mix on CDJs and insist on bringing they controller and laptop which has like 3 or 4 extra leads to add to the equation. It would be 10x easier to just burn off some CDs and turn up with your CD wallet and headphones and use the equipment that we are supplying (that is industry standard).

I guess what the problem is here is that some of these DJs rely on visual waveforms to beatmatch and can't beatmatch by ear and also that we are a fairly young group of people.

I am very tempted to post on the event page: No controllers! Bring your CDs or don't mix! But one of the organisers, the guy who is supplying the marquee mixes on a controller, so he blatantly wouldn't agree to that.

As an organiser, I have been assuring people that the event will have some degree of professionalism but it doesn't look like that's gonna be the case what with all these controller DJs.

Has anyone here had a similar situation?

- - - Updated - - -

oops, shoulda posted in DJ subforum :/

2. Phat_Sam

Phat_Sam Well-Known Member

People will be people... fuck em. Tell em "No CD's, No play time I'm afraid"

I use a controller most of the time at the moment at home but I wouldn't bother taking it to a party unless there was no other set up.

Plus, you have to be a full blown r-tard to not be able to mix with out the seeing waveform... Poser DJ cunts

3. Rusket

Rusket Mix an blend

trust me I really want to post that "No CDs, no play" but the dude that is supplying the marquee mixes on a troller and I dont think he knows how to use CDJs. I hate what controllers have done to modern DJing, just complicates stuff!

Its not even hard to mix on CDJs these days with all tracks between 172-175bpm!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  4. ONSLAUGHT88

ONSLAUGHT88 I sees ya I do I sees ya

Sound like you mince with helmets mate :teeth:

5. Rusket

Rusket Mix an blend

like I said mate, we are a younger group, with the average age being 17-18. Nowadays, younger kids tend to mix on controllers, not CDJs. I find it just at pathetic as you probably do that they can't mix on CDJs!

Our parties are a joint effort though, each of the organisers has something to contribute so its quite hard just to say to them "fuck you, learn to mix on cdjs, or don't mix at all"

- - - Updated - - -

this is ridiculous. Our DJ setup will be worth around a grand, and they insist on using their £150 controller setup, fucking jokers.

6. Phat_Sam

Phat_Sam Well-Known Member

FUCK. THEM. AND. THEIR. PARTY.

7. Rusket

Rusket Mix an blend

haha im one of the organisers and i am also supplying the cdjs and contributing towards the sound system. We are putting in a lot of effort, even got my mate running a nosbar! It's just a shame that people can't just bring their CDs.

8. RocksteadyUK

RocksteadyUK SkimoBeats

what are you talking about??

wasteman thread.

9. herojuana

herojuana hairy kuala

Where the fuck are the technics?

I refuse to play anywhere that doesn't have technics. And if they have a crowd I also refuse to play, bedroom DJ yanahmean

danwell likes this.
  10. Dannyboy93

Dannyboy93 EL CAPITAIN

perfect setup is 2 CDJ, 2 turntables and a decent 4 channel mixer, got the best of both worlds and if people can not mix on that they no dj, they BUMBACLARTS

11. Rusket

Rusket Mix an blend

personally I would prefer 3 CDJs and 1 technics deck but yeah that would also be good. It's just no one wants to bring out their decks!

12. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

WTF is this?

Let the CDJ guys play first, then the laptop djs.

It takes five minutes to change the setup.

..if you have eyes and hands.

13. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

yeah whenever i've done house parties etc we've just put controllers on first then changed over. takes all over a minute tops to get a cdj set up and a tune playing whilst you remove laptop + controller.

DeeGun likes this.
  14. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

Ruskte will need hours to do that because he must open a thread first :teeth:

15. Rusket

Rusket Mix an blend

that seems like a good idea. I expect they will bring different controllers so I'm just gonna leave the switching over and shit to them. after 12, no more laptops and just CDJ setups

- - - Updated - - -

gonna do it the other way round because our best DJ mixes on CDs and want him to have prime time 1-2

16. Sicx

Sicx Well-Known Member

'The majority of DJs that we have use CDs and there are gonna be 3 CDJs running through a 4 channel mixer. Someone came up with the idea of having a "controller" channel on the 4th channel of the mixer.' Problem solved surely.
    If its like the controllers i've used they dont even need to go through the mixer?

17. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

they still need a channel to output the sound through the main system

18. Rusket

Rusket Mix an blend

We are hoping to rent 2 generators as we are now running 2 sound systems. I was wondering if anyone here knew much about power usage because I know fuck all, but our setup is gonna be 4000w amp, 1000w amp, 300w amp, plus lights/cdjs/mixer etc.

Would a 6kva silenced diesel generator be enough to power this set up?

Then we plan to run probably 2 x 1000w amps in our second setup. Should we use 2.4kva petrol generator or 3.5kva petrol generator?

19. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

Well I believe Forau and Herojuana run their own sound systems, and Moskit used to engineer for King Jammys back in the late nineties, so between them you should get your question answered..

20. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

My pal does and i help him out a lot. Dont use genny's though,

Only pick places with live leccy. Much less hassle.

In regards to the controller thing, i fucking hate controller dj's who roll up to play out with em. BUT, its not that difficult, just stick rca out's from controller into a spare channel on the mixer. This passes the audio right through to the system and once the levels on the mixer are ok it doesnt need to be touched.

And when it comes to sticking a new controller in for the next sync mashing douchebag just mute the channel and unplug the rca's and plug the new controllers rca's in. 10 second job.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013