Free Bass Pack for Critique

Preview

Yeah, some wicked sounds in there man. Would be interested to know how you went about making them and what you used etc as well.

Thanks for the compliments! All of these sounds were done within Ableton Live 9 using various plug ins. Most of the sounds are not resampled, a couple of them are.

I usually start with a Synth plug in and create a new patch or tweak an existing patch that I think sounds good. Some of the synth plugins: Massive, Synlenth1, Albino 3, SubBoomBass, etc. Massive is probably the one I use the most. This will change soon as I have an RTA studio producer station coming very soon and I can FINALLY set up all my hardware synths and monitors in a nice and easy to use space. Right now I am using just my computer and some headphones! :( Once the the RTA desk shows up I'll get my Mackie HD824s set back up and be enjoying the sounds a whole lot more! :)

Once I have a sound I like, I'll create a midi loop anywhere from 2 bars to 8 bars and create a straight up bass line. Sometimes the bass line is just one note all the way through and other times I'll create a more "sophisticated" one with octave jumps and several notes.

Once the loop is created... the real fun starts... creating movement and "destroying/dementing" the sound! I start adding plug-ins galore and tweaking the sh!t out of them. Sauage Fattener, Camelphat3, Distortions, Filters, EQs, Saturators, compression... whatever it takes! My personal favorite filters (plug ins that is) right now are SoundToys Filterfreak 1 and 2 (really fat sounding), Tone2 BiFilter and Filterbank3 and Abletons built in Auto Filter. I just picked up some new filtering and multi effects plug ins from Schwa that sounds fantastic as well (Oligarcr and OligarcFilter).

I've never done any videos before.... but I am going to try and do a series of tutorials for some bass sounds. I am by no means an expert! I still have a lot of learning to do myself! I think I will start with a tutorial on making a sound in Massive and then follow up with turtorials for tweaking the sound and creating "movement" in Ableton Live 9.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Take care,

Vid

Yeah, very cool man. The upper mid range has this really nice tight saturated sound it in a lot of the clips, that's what really caught my ear. It almost has a sheen to it that you get in a lot of "pro" tracks if that makes sense. Very concise and a upfront but not overwhelming.

Are you splitting the frequencies, i.e - sending the main sound to 3 different buses? Or using split tracks or even just one channel?

Keep up the good work.

Yeah, very cool man. The upper mid range has this really nice tight saturated sound it in a lot of the clips, that's what really caught my ear. It almost has a sheen to it that you get in a lot of "pro" tracks if that makes sense. Very concise and a upfront but not overwhelming.

Are you splitting the frequencies, i.e - sending the main sound to 3 different buses? Or using split tracks or even just one channel?

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the kind words! As much time as I spend working on bass sounds, it's nice to hear other people says it sounds good.

I do split the frequencies if necessary. If I need to split the Frequencies, In ableton I use an Audio Effects Rack. Basically the synth plug in is first then I add the Audio Effects Rack and make 3 to 4 channels in the rack and eq/filter them as needed. So one channel in the rack will be filtered/eq'd for sub (with it's own effects if need be), then I'll filter/eq another channel in the rack for the mids with it's own effects and do the same for highs (and sometimes I'll make two mids instead of just one). The only real downside to this is that all of the channels in the rack use the same midi loop(s)... so if I need the sub to be more consistant and flow better, I'll create a new track for it and only split the mis/highs or just have one track for mids and one for sub. As I said, it all depends on what I am working on and what I'm trying to achieve. Some of the samples in the pack had eq splitting and some didn't.

Enjoy,

Vid

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers for these mate, some good sounds there to throw into Kontakt! :D

If you end up creating anything with the samples, I'd love to hear!

Thanks,

Vid

yer dude some nice basses u got going! make an ableton tut if you have the time. haha- cheers for the soundcloud link- makes things easier

I predict that you are gonna quickly become a valuable member of this community. You have the mindset to slip right in here with us! ;)

:2thumbs:

Thanks... I'm sure I'll fit in pretty well!

Kudos to you as well... your tutorial videos on Youtube are outstanding!

Enjoy,

Vid

- - - Updated - - -

loving these, thanks alot :)

No problem, glad you like them!

Take care,

Vid

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah man, thanks for the pack and for the explanation, gonna use these beasts for sure! Cheers

Would love to hear what you come up with if you end up using any of them.

Enjoy,

Vid

- - - Updated - - -

FYI... Just downloaded Windows Media Encoder so I can do some tutorials. I recorded some test videos, but I was having trouble getting the sound to work. I've got the sound to work now, but I am sure there is a better way. I'll hopefully be posting some tutorial videos soon.

Take care and enjoy,

Vid

If you're looking for screen capture software to record tutorials, the one I use is called BB Flashback Express. Really simple to use, and it's free too which is always a bonus!

Back
Top Bottom