Forthcoming Ram Records

This label is a mess that produces throwaway pop music for 15 year olds who are getting into dnb for the first time

Andy should just do the right thing and shut it down. Does he even care about the quality of the music being released or is it all about the $$$ for him.

This label is a mess that produces throwaway pop music for 15 year olds who are getting into dnb for the first time

Andy should just do the right thing and shut it down. Does he even care about the quality of the music being released or is it all about the $$$ for him.

Same thing could be said about the hospital of a few years ago, now they are back on form. I have faith.

said it before, say it again. RAM is business, probably has been for the past 10-15 years so obviously it's about the $$$. Can't say if he/them are feeling what they are putting out but surely are trying to sell music not win any most underground/good/representing/interesting d&b contest.

I like Takes One to Know One, Long Gone, False Alarm, and Pathfinder. That last one is a real album sort of track. Pretty disappointing overall for me, but for those who are enjoying the C&T sound and want to keep hearing it, this is really good.

said it before, say it again. RAM is business, probably has been for the past 10-15 years so obviously it's about the $$$. Can't say if he/them are feeling what they are putting out but surely are trying to sell music not win any most underground/good/representing/interesting d&b contest.
But who is buying this stuff? "Kids" will just be downloading everything illegally, and I just can't see them being a huge market for this. Surely there's more money to be gained through fulfilling the desires of the large fanbase. Maybe d&b is not as niche as some of us think, but I really have never thought of music like this to have really wide appeal.

you can't just have a go at RAM for doing the drawn out album release with only a handful of new tunes on it - all the other labels are guilty as well. i'd argue hospital aren't back on track but medschool is. they've invested in new talent where others havent. if ram want to start releasing FORWARD thinking dnb then they need to get more out of the kids that released on program and put them on the main label, or put more focus on program to get new talent in.

saying that, it's still a decent album even if theres only about 10 different synths involved.

I don't know. I'm not into the modern Calyx & TeeBee sound and as much I would like to say their album is good, I just can't. Their "signature" sound shits all over some of those incredible ideas and clever song-writing present on the album. Then again, to the topic being discussed atm, I don't really get the hate. I mean, I'm not exactly a fan of the concept of releasing 5 singles throughout the year and then feature them on the album, then again the half of the album is "brand new" and at least you get most of the tunes on vinyl, whereas with other labels you get 2x12" EP + 1 or 2 album sampler singles at the very best, more likely 1 or 2 plates with the whole album or 3+ tunes each side (which is utter bullshit and in the end absolutely useless for playing out) or no vinyl at all. I can think of loads of albums I would prefer to be released like that just in the last few years, Break's latest LP, Technimatic's LP etc. etc.

you can't just have a go at RAM for doing the drawn out album release with only a handful of new tunes on it - all the other labels are guilty as well. i'd argue hospital aren't back on track but medschool is. they've invested in new talent where others havent. if ram want to start releasing FORWARD thinking dnb then they need to get more out of the kids that released on program and put them on the main label, or put more focus on program to get new talent in.

saying that, it's still a decent album even if theres only about 10 different synths involved.
Hospital's album process:
1. *silence*
2. Annie Mac/Mistajam/Something else premiere of a single
3. Album up for pre order within hours of the single's debut. Single and one other track available on iTunes.
4. One week later another (new) song is available.
5. One more week and another.
6. Two more weeks and the album is out, containing a maximum of three already-available tracks.

Critical has done the same but releases a single on record

But who is buying this stuff? "Kids" will just be downloading everything illegally, and I just can't see them being a huge market for this. Surely there's more money to be gained through fulfilling the desires of the large fanbase. Maybe d&b is not as niche as some of us think, but I really have never thought of music like this to have really wide appeal.

CalTee are huge - been in the scene for years. they're veterans, have a huge fanbase and people are buying their stuff through all ages. I'm very sure about that. they found a formula in their music that will sell records. That's what they're doing with this album.
Still Long Gone and Elevate This Sound probably were their biggest tracks sales wise. But it's much harder to write something like this then the standard "Big Tune Again".

As well regarding marketing a CalTee album: from a sales perspective you'd be stupid to sell banger A with 11 other bangers. People will always pick the fews they really want that's why it's split across singles.

And in all fairness, and I'm by no means a hospital fan, it's not exactly the same when you announce an album and make a few tracks available a couple days before than spreading singles across a year (?) half a year (?) and put them all on the album again. I don't care much tho because neither of the labels really interest me.

Ghetto is the closest thing to good on there. what in the fuck happened to the two of them :(

I remember an ATM magazine interview with the headline 'I have a degree in beat hustling' or something. Teebee was a boss then...
DOA Mix 2005
Don't Lie To Me
Retrofunk
etc

Back
Top Bottom