Former label owner/dnb club promoter starting up again

embracedapain

Hi guys! I used to be a dnb label owner and club promoter. Starting up again after a decade away. I'm only going to be here to exchange ideas on production. I would like to start with music production first (which I never did before). Never too late to start ;) The music is pulling me in again, but this time I would like to try my hand as a producer and take it from there. See you guys around!

Yes brother! You're right, it's never too late to start and it's never too late to follow / re-start your dreams! So big up your chest for going for it and I wish you all the best! I have really just been going head-first into production after years of on-and-off DJing and working with sound myself, so give a shout if you're ever stuck on something and let's figure it out together! :D

Bless up!

It is important to be very organized and treat your artists fairly. What is clear is having your own identity/developing your own sound. Innovation is key. Re-inventing is ultimately important or you won't be able to progress. the artists also have to believe in you. A lot of mistakes were done, but that is a beautiful thing. Ultimately you use those lessons and apply it towards future goals.... @ leila.. you produce?

It is important to be very organized and treat your artists fairly. What is clear is having your own identity/developing your own sound. Innovation is key. Re-inventing is ultimately important or you won't be able to progress. the artists also have to believe in you. A lot of mistakes were done, but that is a beautiful thing. Ultimately you use those lessons and apply it towards future goals.... @ leila.. you produce?
Hi

Thanks for your reply :)

I do produce yes, the first ep for my label is coming out in 4 weeks, by threshold (formerly on reinforced and rupture) and a month later is my ep. I have another person doing an ep for me and I'm working on more when I can.

I guess for me as it's all digital now, I really want to know how to get enough awareness. The best way to get traffic to the social media site and to get in contact with enough djs to play your stuff. That's my sticking point. How many is enough to send out to? And other kinds of promo.. Even though I can mix, I don't DJ as I stuck with vinyl mixing (showing my age a lil) and don't think I have the time to do it anyway. Which I know would be a great way to get my tracks played out.. But other than the invaluable info you gave, what would you say to the things I wrote above? Thank you :)

What I learned from my last go, I would focus on the quality of the music. You have to be very honest with yourself. "Is the music I am releasing is of high calibre production". Be very honest. If it isn't, then you might not be able to get the awareness you are seeking. I guess it is ok to put out dancefloor fillers and dj food. I am not sure how long that is going to last. To be honest. The scene thrives on djs. In order to get the support, they need to get into it. That's where innovation comes into play. Spend time finding out your own groove, not a copy of something else that has been done thousands of time. In the sea of bedroom djs, those that last and become consistent will get the "awareness". Stick with it and don't give up. If you love it, it will work. Take advices in stride and become better....In time it will all work out.

btw..age is irrelevant. I was a veteran in the scene when I left. I am at the same age group as Grooverider, Goldie, Fabio (they know who I am). Tony Coleman is close to 60 yrs old. so no... it was what you do with the time that is given to you that is important.

Thank you very much! I definitely go with the things I like, and don't try to copy another label per se, I certainly know my identity at this stage in life. Thank you very much. I look forward to this journey :) :) :)

Thank you very much! I definitely go with the things I like, and don't try to copy another label per se, I certainly know my identity at this stage in life. Thank you very much. I look forward to this journey :) :) :)

FYI I went through nearly 800 tunes on Beatport the other day and only purchased 19.

The amount of utter shite that is released every day is beyond madness.

Please consider this; every man and his dog, wife and goldfish are starting labels with woefully substandard tunes.. Do you want to be another one?

It's the harsh truth im afraid, not trying to be an asshole ;)

FYI I went through nearly 800 tunes on Beatport the other day and only purchased 19.

The amount of utter shite that is released every day is beyond madness.

Please consider this; every man and his dog, wife and goldfish are starting labels with woefully substandard tunes.. Do you want to be another one?

It's the harsh truth im afraid, not trying to be an asshole ;)

You're right, but I don't care actually, I'm doing it because I want to and I can. Why should that stop me doing what I want to do? You still sat through all those tunes and made purchases so it's not exactly something that can't get anyone's attention. Plus, crap is all a matter of opinion. Art - which music is - just needs people to like it or not. So your tastes could be totally different to mine. I take onboard everyone's points of view because I do believe they're important to know, but I think mine is the most important in deciding what I want to do :)

You're right, but I don't care actually, I'm doing it because I want to and I can. Why should that stop me doing what I want to do? You still sat through all those tunes and made purchases so it's not exactly something that can't get anyone's attention. Plus, crap is all a matter of opinion. Art - which music is - just needs people to like it or not. So your tastes could be totally different to mine. I take onboard everyone's points of view because I do believe they're important to know, but I think mine is the most important in deciding what I want to do :)

Fair enough, I understand the drive and passion and respect that, just be prepared for 0-5 sales on every release... That's the reality of the game these days. If money isn't an issue just release everything for free! You'd be surprised how effective that route can be.

P.S I was mainly referring to the quality of mixdowns and arrangements that were crap; a really decent tune with shit production (imo) just wouldn't ever get bought.

Fair enough, I understand the drive and passion and respect that, just be prepared for 0-5 sales on every release... That's the reality of the game these days. If money isn't an issue just release everything for free! You'd be surprised how effective that route can be.

P.S I was mainly referring to the quality of mixdowns and arrangements that were crap; a really decent tune with shit production (imo) just wouldn't ever get bought.

Yes I know, sales aren't what they were and all that, some great tunes haven't had the best engineering skills applied to them and some of the dullest tunes have had decent engineers on it. Swings and roundabouts. If someone likes it they'll but it and if they don't, they won't. I'm not expecting to light the world on fire and I'm certainly by far not the best engineer, but so what again. I applaud people for trying to do what they do. It's all a learning curve. When you put your work out there people will criticise or praise, you allow shots to be fired, at the same time other people are quick to bring the negativity. And putting someone down does nothing other than wreck their confidence to make oneself seem bigger than them. Not saying that's you, because you're just giving your general opinion, but the way I see it, if someone gives me their opinion that's full of criticism in a non constructive way I pay it no mind - especially if they're no better (subjectively speaking of course) ;)

Just out of curiosity because you speak like a producer rather than just an enthusiast, do you have any tracks you've done? Like on soundcloud or something? I always like listening to what other people do.

I'm happy to invest, I can bring a lot to the table besides hard cash..Call me if your interested somewhat like yourself, about to empower the scene with new energy...

Regards

Back
Top Bottom