For the DJ's out there: Your first BIG one.

Norwax

VIP Junglist
So, I've been playing in some local clubs, some of them pretty well known in the country, where the BIG artists play but it's always with a few more Portuguese dj's and friends. And suddenly, someone who has been listening to my acts just invited me to play in a BIG one (With Alix Perez, Prolix and Mind Vortex). I guess that after a few months, this will be the first huge party I'm going to play at. I'm pretty happy because after so much effort into dj'ing, now I just can't imagine that I will be sharing the stage with my all time favourite producer, Alix Perez. :)

So I'm wondering what was your first one (if you already had one) and how did you felt? Was it different in any way? Were you nervous?

Cheers :)

was invited to play at Interface straight up after andy c, had a good chat a couple of beers etc before the gig, felt fine, then got to the club enjoyed the night as much as i could but as andy stepped up i was definitely feeling the butterflies, but just got on with it, felt an absolute honour to play after the man himself. crowd was uber hyped, he hung around and even joked with me on the stage while he packed up (guys a legend).

You'll be straight, don't sweat it. And congrats! I had one big gig and was so nervous I had to take I xanax bc my hands started shaking as my slot was coming up. But after a few tracks I settled down and it was just like any other gig

To be fair, ive never really played a big night. Just loads of smaller nights around the area, played a set at an event where Rockwell was headlining which was good, on early though. The promoter im with usually puts me in at peak slots which is nice, I suppose, venue wise, the first actual proper club I played was a good one for me, played a wicked set as well (if i do say so myself!). But yeah, im a pretty small DJ around here to be honest, it would be wicked to play some bigger events but I doubt it'll happen anytime soon. I enjoy playing the smaller venues though, especially the more underground ones.

You'll be straight, don't sweat it. And congrats! I had one big gig and was so nervous I had to take I xanax bc my hands started shaking as my slot was coming up. But after a few tracks I settled down and it was just like any other gig

Hand shaking is the minimum!
Hart attack feelings...
I never had a big one, for me every small ones are big, but I guess you are gonna be so nervous that when its finish your adrenaline will be disappointed that its been so short. You will want more!!!
Congrats! And have the most of it man!
Big up

Last edited:
Erm not many really. I've played at Egg and Cable but not after anyone known. I played after Gerra and Stone at Rhythm factory but I didn't shake their hands lol. Seemed like cool guys though.
I like getting nervous but I haven't been nervous in years its annoying. I feel that I try harder when I'm nervous.

I've only really played smaller events (and not many) and only in room 1 once (was on first). I definitely agree with sam the dnb man on nervees. I got comfortable/cocky once and it was the most stressful set I've played, yet!

Good luck with it mate. I'm hoping I get to be in your position at some point, although can't see it happening for a while, yet!

= I got comfortable/cocky once and it was the most stressful set I've played, yet!

haha. I dunno about being cocky but when I don't feel under pressure I don't really try after 20 minutes. I'm mostly playing at an empty room to be honest. I'm on first most of the time

Played at NASS this year before Friction, Wilkinson and Andy C's alive show. That was mental.

I enjoy the nerves, makes me have alot more fun!

I'm lucky to be a part of the crew who's responsible for a monthly night in our hometown and now we're starting to bring some bigger names in here. I started the night when we had Rido here last summer, this April I was playing right before Hybris and this month we're hosting Neonlight. I'm always nervous before playing out to a crowd, it gets even worse when you know there's a guy you admire standing behind you looking over your shoulder while you play. But there's the other side of the coin to this, nothing feels as good as when they're head-nodding to your set, when they tell you you've been wicked and you can actually have a few words with them. So it's okay to feel nervous before, but you should definitely enjoy it :)

I enjoy the nerves, makes me have alot more fun!

Also this :)

Last edited:
haha. I dunno about being cocky but when I don't feel under pressure I don't really try after 20 minutes. I'm mostly playing at an empty room to be honest. I'm on first most of the time

Ha. Yeah same. By the end of my sets people tend to have started to turn up, so at least there's a few people dancing! Cocky might have been overstatement, but a little bit too confident maybe. I try to be a bit more relaxed when I start and build it up, even if it's just to get used to the setup and build a bit of confidence.

And getting good feedback off people you look up to is brilliant! Makes it worth it!

I will just try not to get too nervous and hope everything goes well. Just saw the line up and I will be playing right before Alix so yeah, I gotta kill it!

Thanks for the replies!

Opened for London Elektricity a few weeks ago. And that was my 2nd gig ever.. whoa. Must say I wasn't quite as nervous as I thought I'd be. Practiced so much that by the time I got on stage, I somehow knew all would turn out well, and turn out well it did :) I was first off the bill, then handed the decks to Royalston and Linken..

All I can say is, if you're not confident then practice, practice, practice. On the night, have a few drinks (but not too many!! ) to loosen up a bit and go kill it!! Most of all, enjoy the experience. I doubt I will ever feel as alive as I did that night :)

played after Amit & Kahn once @ Cable.
Didnt really chat to either other than brief exchanges.

Went well enough, been asked to do another night for them in the future.

I've learn't over time that all you can do is enjoy it, regardless of how well or badly your set goes, especially on vinyl as half the time the set-up isn't exactly great.

In regards to playing next to big names, it all sounds fantastic but unless your really involved with the scene, making music that has potential, I see being on the same lineup as household names pretty farfetched for me, or certainly a long way away, even after mixing for 5 years the opportunities are slim.

played straight after mattix + futile few months back.. as for big clubs been getting room 2 sets.

on before Levela next month

My biggest set i played was at Pure Science in Kent i was on before Andy C and the place was rammed!! Like someone else said i play off the nerves, ill always have a few beers and a cheeky pick me up before play to get me hyped.

Another massive highlight was in the rammed main room at Lakota for Skankers on before Heist and remember doubling Spor - Kingdom with DC breaks - Babylon as my last mix and the place went off!! With a quite a few heads stood behind me nodding their heads!!!

Back
Top Bottom